I have added a virtual product. I was able to successfully download it. All of the threads I read said I should not end up at the checkout page or I had set up the product wrong. I have the product set up right. I have the green dot in the downloads manager next to the product. I CAN download the product, but I DO have to add it to the cart, and I do have to enter my log in and password. I have to actually checkout and see the error message:
Sorry we are not accepting payments from your region at this time.

I have followed every instruction on every thread I can find I think. I have some items that DO require shipping. someone suggested adding flat rate shipping, however I do not want to do that because I do not want to charge flat rate shipping on my shippable products.

I have the download working, it just causes a lot of confusion for the customer. They should simply click the free item, then go to download. But having tested it, they will have to go through the entire checkout process, except they stop prior to having to pay and finally they get the download. And I also want to get rid of the error message sorry we are not accepting payments from your region at this time.

I just cannot find a thread to solve my problem. which is basically:
by pass the login and checkout page, and get rid of the error message "sorry we are not accepting payments from your region at this time"