Plugin Contributions

Default session.use_trans_sid = on

During a new install the checklist gives me a red X on:
    session.use_trans_sid = on

I've looked at the other forum posts and have a request in to my ISP to see if they'll change that for me... in the meantime do I have to wait to resolve this or can I finish the install and get some work done in the store?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: session.use_trans_sid = on

I ran into the same problem. Although I don't know for sure, the big red X scares me. I definitely wouldn't continue until it was fixed.

But I'm super lucky to have an awesome host. I emailed him and within 15 minutes he wrote back and said he fixed it. Must be #47 on my list of things I've asked him about and he's always right on the ball, usually fixing things FOR me.
    Linda in Ohio
    Sometimes what is so obvious to others.... is simply oblivious to the rest of us!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1234 View Post
    During a new install the checklist gives me a red X on:
    session.use_trans_sid = on

I've looked at the other forum posts and have a request in to my ISP to see if they'll change that for me... in the meantime do I have to wait to resolve this or can I finish the install and get some work done in the store?

Thanks!
    Just to answer your question, yes you can proceed with the install, its just a warning and its ok when your host changes it
    Only thing is if session.use_trans_sid is on then it interferes with the SEO

More here
    http://www.mtdev.com/2002/06/why-you...-use_trans_sid
    Tutorials on Zen Cart
    http://tutorials.zen-cart.com/index.php
    ---------------
    advanced.programmer at gmail dot com
    In love with Zen Cart!!

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: session.use_trans_sid = on

I get this error as well.
    The difference being that when I check my PHPinfo (via the supplied link) I see that I have the setting as OFF for both master and local settings.
    also, I am unable to continue with my install... the next page loads saying:

Sorry, a problem has been detected.

This installer needs to be able to start a PHP session in order to complete installation.

Possible causes of this page being displayed include:

Perhaps a timeout has occurred
    If you left the installation unattended more than 20 minutes, then the information you entered on previous screens is no longer available. In this case, you will need to begin the installation process again.

Please do not leave the installation process unattended for long lengths of time. Installation should only take 5 minutes under normal circumstances.

The server has no place to write its session files.
    If you have not already made the "cache" folder writable, please do so now so the installer can continue. Details on making the files writable can be found in the Installation Instructions or in the online FAQs.

PHP sessions might not be functional on your server
    In order to use Zen Cart™, you will need to be able to use the "session" capabilities of PHP. It could be that your server configuration is not currently allowing PHP sessions to start and interact properly. Also, if you have session cookies disabled in your browser, you will not be able to use PHP session support. Please turn off cookie-blocking tools in your browser and firewall as a precaution.

You may need to talk to your webserver administrator for assistance in ensuring that PHP sessions can be configured and used on your site.

I have double checked these three options, and don't see any problems that I am able to uncover.

any help would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Some FYI that everyone can use.

PHP Session.use_trans_sid should be disabled, period.
    Register Globals should be OFF because Zen Cart doesn't need it and OFF gives your site better security.

If PHP is run as Apache Module

## public_html/.htaccess
    php_flag session.use_trans_sid off
    php_value register_globals off

If PHP is run as CGI

## public_html/php.ini
    session.use_trans_sid = off
    register_globals = off

---

DusX, have you spoken with your Hoster about this problem and/or their setup for using PHP sessions?

Plugin Contributions

problem is it is my server.
    so its my problem.
    I guess what I need to know is if there is anything that might cause the 'system inspection' page during install read that PHP session.use_trans_sid = ON even if it is set OFF.

I upgraded and rebuilt both apache and PHP (so add the CURL SSL support). I have other sites running on the server, and they seem to be fine.
    Are there any settings in the httpd.conf doc that are required for this? Thats the only thing I can figure at this point since it was rebuilt along with apache?

Plugin Contributions

If other sites are working fine then I suspect the problem is here:

The server has no place to write its session files.
    If you have not already made the "cache" folder writable, please do so now so the installer can continue. Details on making the files writable can be found in the Installation Instructions or in the online FAQs.
    Have another look at your setup, check permissions and settings. There are times, when one has 'root' access, that changes are made while not being the account Owner; but instead being 'root'.