Plugin Contributions

Default Gift Certificate FAQ's page

I need some help with the FAQ's page. I did a search already but couldn't find exactly what I need.

My problem is that I'm not using the FAQ function on my site so what I'd like to do is use the FAQ's for miscellaneous FAQ's about the company. I found where to edit the FAQ's page and started adding my own text; however, when I remove the phrase "TEXT_GV_NAMES" I lose the entire page. HELP!

Or, is there an easier way to create a new FAQ page and link it to the gift certificate FAQ?

Thanks in advance, I've been slamming my head against a wall for a week on this issue.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Gift Certificate FAQ's page

Bear in mind that Gift Certificate FAQ is actually just a popup page (like all the popup pages) that has been specifically coded to relate to Gift Certificates.

My advice would be to create a "chapterised" set of EZpages, which you call "FAQ". Then you don't have any backend code headaches.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Ya, I kinda thought of that too, but then how do I change the link for the GC FAQ's to point to the EZ page instead?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rmml1015 View Post
    ...how do I change the link for the GC FAQ's to point to the EZ page instead?
    You don't.

If you do not intend to use Gift Certificates, switch them off.

ADMIN>>>MODULES>>>ORDER TOTAL

Then, click on: - Gift Vouchers ---- ot_gv

Click REMOVE

(You can always re-install it later).

This will de-activate Gift Vouchers AND remove the sidebox link.

You could use one of the "spare" define pages to create a FAQ page, or...

You can then create a NEW series of FAQ pages, with the title "FAQ" which you can put into the EZpages header, footer, sidebox... or all three if you like.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Let me explain just a wee bit more...

Gift Certificates (when ENABLED) influence the behaviour of the Order Total module. In other words, there's a complex sequence of actions going on behind the scenes that affect lots of transactional calculations.

You can't simply "hijack" a component of this process (like you were trying to do with the Gift Certificates FAQ function) as they are all linked up in very complicated ways. if you mess with one component, you risk messing with others - you don't want your webshop's calculating functions to go haywire!

If you are NOT going to use Gift Certificates, then you disable the ENTIRE module as I described in the post above. When ENABLED, the FAQ are SO IMPORTANT to visitors, so the developers of zencart deemed it necessary to have these FAQ displayed as a DEFAULT, whenever the module is enabled. A very good decision !!!

If you want your own FAQ to have the link in the INFORMATION sidebox (where the GV-FAQ link was) then you will configure one of the spare Define pages:

(SEE:- ADMIN>>>CONFIGURATION>>>DEFINE PAGE STATUS as a starting point)

If you use EZPAGES, then you can choose three possible locations for the resulting link - header, footer or the MORE INFORMATION sidebox.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I'll give that a try and report back. My concern about switching of the GC module is that one the links for the FAQ's is imbedded as a graphic in the topper image, if that goes away by switching of the FAQ's it will throw the entire top section out of whack. (working with a template here)

I'll give a try though and see what happens.

Thanks for the help BTW, I really appreciate it!

Plugin Contributions

Ok, so I have a new page 2 created with the FAQ's on it. The link at the top of the page linking to the GC FAQ's is still showing and linking to the old GC page. So, how do I get it changed to link to the new page that I created and how do I change the name of the new page 2 (was default new page 2) to FAQ's?

Thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

Did you "edit" any core code files relating to GV's? The minute you REMOVE the mod in Order Total, the GV Faq link should disappear.

If possible, pots your site URL so we can see what's happening.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

The only thing I began to edit for the gift certificates was the FAQ's page...but only the question area.

Plugin Contributions

I created a new page for the FAQ's but how do I change that link to point to the new page instead?

Please help, I need to get this finished.

TIA!