Plugin Contributions

help question Preparation advice for upgrade v1.3.7.1 to 1.3.8a

Hi everyone.

I have an install of Zen Cart v1.3.7.1 that I installed for the first time a few months back. I've never performed an upgrade before and I'm sure it would normally probably be fairly painless except that I have a custom template and a few modifications. So I was looking for any preparation advice that anyone might have so that the upgrade can be as painless as possible.

I have looked up all of the modifications that I use and it appears that most of them offer updated versions for v1.3.8 so I will of course update all of those, too, when I update the main Zen Cart install.

My template is a self-tweaked version of Cherry Zen v1.3 from Sage Fish.com. (Updated version now available)

My modifications are:
    FCKeditor v1.3.7 (Updated version now available)
    HoverBox2 (Updated version now available)
    Improved Attributes Controller v1.1b (Updated version NOT available)
    Stock by Attributes v4.5 (Updated version now available)

Besides the modifications that I have already listed, I have a few little tweaks of my own here and there but I kept good notes for all of them so I'm not too worried about re-adding those.

One of my main concerns are that one of the modifications I use does not offer an update at this time, "Improved Attributes Controller". I remember reading a while back that this might eventually be included in upcoming versions of Zen Cart. However, I read no mention of it in the v1.3.8 announcement so I wasn't sure if that has actually happened or not. Does anyone know for certain if this is the case or not? I apologize if I missed it somewhere.

My other concern is just any overall advice that any of you veterans might offer. I'd love to have the whole process be somewhat timely and without too many mistakes or run-ins if at all possible.

I already know the basics as far as making sure to back up all files and the database before I attempt anything. But beyond that, any advice or good preparation practices that anyone could offer would be extremely appreciated. I am in no hurry to get this done, I just want to make sure I do it correctly... Or as correctly as possible anyhow, hehe.

I did see that there were a few other topics that had some good advice. Since some of my issues are kind of specific though, I started this new topic. I hope no one minds.

Thank you!

P.S. My client's site is shopobsessions.com if anyone wants to take a look at what I have done with v1.3.7.1 for reference. If this is considered spam, I apologize and will delete the link right away.
    Last edited by Computer Candy; 19 Feb 2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typos

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Preparation advice for upgrade v1.3.7.1 to 1.3.8a

I tried to make some edits in my last post but it would not let me so I've added them here. Sorry.

One major thing I have done in the past with other major scripts while upgrading, is to rename my old installed directory to something like olddirname.bak.date and then re-upload all files and re-make all of the edits. This has often proven to be very time consuming at times though. I have also often run into problems of not being able to view my site for reference checking while re-installing mods because of other mods or templates being called that are not yet re-installed yet. I hope that makes sense.

I just wanted to bring that up since I have seen that sort of methd suggested once or twice. I just wasn't sure if that is still concidered a good practice or if anyone has other suggestions. etc, etc, etc...

Thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Preparation advice for upgrade v1.3.7.1 to 1.3.8a

One of my main concerns are that one of the modifications I use does not offer an update at this time, "Improved Attributes Controller".
    There is a change log that lists files affected. As the above is mainly on the admin side there are probably few if any files affected by it.

Best practice is to create a folder and a new DB and install 1.3.8a there.
    Apply a backup of your current store to this and re-run zc_install and only upgrade the DB. Make no changes to your current site at this point.

Apply the mods and the template and your edits watching for changed files that you will have to merge changes into.

Once done, you can put your current site down for maint - grab all the customer related and order related tables from the live store and apply these to the new DB - might have to again run zc-install for DB upgrade?
    Igf your current site is in a folder rename it and then rename the new install folder to exactly what it was for the old store - edit the 2 configure.php files to reflect this and you are good to go
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten