Plugin Contributions

Default UPS Residential or Commercial

I was just told by my vendor that UPS needs to know if an address is a residence or a commercial address. The Shipping module in the admin only offers one or the other, as I see it. The address could be either. I don't see how to provide such an option. How would that be set as an option for the visitor to select?

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: UPS Residential or Commercial

I have the same situation. Anyone know how to have a couple of radio boxes show up on one of the checkout pages? Or a check box to indicate one or the other?

Or, is there some way to put text on the shipping information page that we presume residential unless they tell us commercial in the comments? Or vice versa.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPS Residential or Commercial

I have a client asking about this very thing. They would like to know if the order is going to residential or commercial.

Thanks for any help.

Tina

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPS Residential or Commercial

Here is what I can tell y'all from my experience working in shipping departments on and off over the last 6 years.

As far as the residential or commercial address the rules keep changing. It used to be based upon what zip code you were in would determine if you were residential or commercial. For example, rural places were definitely considered residential, but what if you were running a business? Then (and I cannot find it again, go figure) they (UPS) once stated on their site what was considered residential. If your building (a home office) had a separate door way to and from your house vs the company, you would be considered commercial instead of residential, even out in the sticks. But if you were a residential in the city, and no separate door way, guess what, you got residential rates which are higher.

A link about residential and other need to know rates:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...hr=residential

UPS Rates Guide:

http://www.ups.com/media/en/2008_area_surcharge.pdf

There (was and unfortunately it is waaaaaaaay outdated) a third party UPS XML mod that you can download from here:

http://www.brandnamebatteries.com/contributions/ and read about it in the Zen Cart Wiki here:

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/3rd_party_contributions_-_Shipping_Modules_-_UPS_XML

But unfortunately it too does not have the code to work with box dimensions (mentioned in the documentation) as well as utilize properly the residential surcharge.

Hopefully soon some super coder will come along and save the day, otherwise there may be quite a few sites going out of business.

Just my .02 cents

0be1
    "Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergymen or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon Earth." - John Wesley