Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up a test environment

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together a testing environment for developing my website. Here's what I'm thinking.....

A Windows development system using Dreamweaver for page development.

A Linux server, running Apache, for testing the software before I move it to the live site.

So, as far as Zen Cart is concerned, I've been reading the Zen Cart eStart book, and I've gotten an idea from it that I want to confirm. I'm thinking that I need to install the XAMPP Windows installation set for Zen Cart (Zen Cart, Apache, MySQL, etc) on the Windows machine for development purposes, and then to test on the Linux Server, I'll need to install a parallel set of XAMPP software (Zen Cart, Apache, MySQL, etc) on the Linux server as well. Is that about right?

Thanks for any advice you guys might have.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up a test environment

Your linux server should have apache, php and mysql all set already.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

The Linux server (if it's a "real" one) should already be set with the software you need. Xampp is specifically for local servers, and they even advise against using it for a live server because of security limitations. Or is it a local Linux server you are talking about? I'm not sure that will really help you, other than perhaps catching mistakes like subdirectory names with spaces in them.

My experience is that things transfer fine between xampp at home and Linux on the live server. Making the Apache/PHP/MySQL versions match is probably most important.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the responses.

The development system (running Windows XP), and the test Linux server are both in my little playground here. No live stuff running on them. The Linux server is meant to duplicate as much as possible the "live" server running at my ISP. The techs at my ISP thought that this might be a good "extra step" to make sure I'm not running into any problems based on configuration issues. Maybe it's an unneeded step, but, I've got the box sitting here so I might as well use it.

So, running XAMPP on both machines would be the thing to do, I think?

Thanks again.

Ron

Plugin Contributions

Hi RonG,

Just to add on to what gjh42 has mentioned.

The XAMPP setup in the book is meant as a staging/test environment for folks to familiarize themselves with the software or test things out. It's helpful if you do not already have a hosting account or need to have a ############## of your live site on your local PC.

Since you have the option of running Zen Cart locally on either your Linux or Windows, it would be good enough to use one of them for the reasons I mentioned above.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Good morning,

Ok, I think I have it now. Using XAMPP on my Windows development machine would give me everything I need for testing purposes. I could set up my Linux machine as well, but it's really not necessary to do that.

I'm just getting started, obviously, but the first thing I did was to get the e-Start book. I'm glad that I invested in it because it's been really helpful. Thanks for putting in the effort to collect all of that knowledge in one place.

I'm going to give XAMPP a try on the Windows machine today. Looking forward to becoming a "real Zenner"

Thanks again.

Ron