Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade Terrifying Me!

I have version 1.3.7 installed and running relatively smoothly. Unfortunately, I was way too new when setting up 1.3.7 at all things e-commerce and did not know about the override folders, etc.

I know I need to upgrade but all of my tweaks have happened over 2 years and I am terrified that my very well-running lucrative online business will suffer terribly with my upgrade overriding so much work.

I am looking for a tips/tricks 1-2-3 step plan from those of you in the same position that have made the leap.

I am very very overwhelmed and swamped with work and reading every post, well, I kind of save that for when I am in deep trouble and experiencing an emergency and need a quick fix for a giant OMG, lol.

Thanks in advance!
    C.
    C. Lane
    www.chandlerlane.com
    Candles by Hand: For some it's a hobby, others a gift

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade Terrifying Me!

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to backup the website, copy it, then run the upgrade on the copy... I'll make sure everything works, then I'll run it live.

Definitely cannot afford to "tinker" with the active website at this moment - business is really picking up.
    Brad Smith, Serigraph Printer
    www.RickRushArt.com

Plugin Contributions

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to backup the website, copy it, then run the upgrade on the copy... I'll make sure everything works, then I'll run it live.

Definitely cannot afford to "tinker" with the active website at this moment - business is really picking up.
    Always the best advice. Backup, practice on a copy and NEVER try it on your live site!
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Oh, and this time, I'll only edit files in my TEMPLATE folders... If I had done that to begin with, I wouldn't have to worry so much about what goodies I'll need to reinstall or recode.
    Brad Smith, Serigraph Printer
    www.RickRushArt.com

Plugin Contributions

Excellent plan of attack.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.