Plugin Contributions

Default For images, does "base" = "small"? And a question about alternates.

Am I correct to assume that the image base name is what everybody is referring to when they say "small image" amidst discussion of "medium" and "large" images?

Also, how are the large versions for alternate images named?
    Is it base-name_alt_LRG.jpg? Or must the additional images be auto-scaled? I'd test this out myself now, but I'm waiting on my server to finish an intensive backup and reinstall.

Asked because at the moment I'm working on Photoshop-batching all my images as well as naming the additional images and am confused with the forum lingo. I understand naming the primary image like "base-name.jpg" and adding alternate, medium and large files, base-name_MED.jpg, base-name_LRG.jpg, base-name_alt1.jpg, base-name_alt2.jpg and base-name_alt3etc.jpg, and then uploading them to their respective folders, but there is no directory (or similar admin setting) for SM. Thus, the total noob question.

It's the little (obvious things to everybody else) that stump me.
    Last edited by molywerks; 29 Feb 2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typos

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: For images, does "base" = "small"? And a question about alternates.

Take a look athttps://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=224 for an explanation of image naming conventions.

You might also consider Image Handler2 which allows you to have one image which will be resized as necessary.
    Last edited by afo; 29 Feb 2008 at 05:43 AM.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, as I said I understand file naming conventions, but I read the tutorial, anyway. Can't wait to use Image Handler but I doubt it will serve the needs of this client as both the primary and additional large images will actually be different photos.

For those others who asked my question but still haven't seen an answer, thanks to a quick installation of xampp and zen-cart:

YES, SMALL EQUALS BASE.

Now, should someone else run into this post, the answer to alternate and large alternate images is, yes, name them:

base-name_alternate00.jpg
    base-name_alternate00_LRG.jpg.
    base-name_alternate01.jpg
    base-name_alternate01_LRG.jpg.

Here's a bonus sample folder structure since I've yet to see a post* that covers anything in a manner to cover the obvious:

BASE IMAGES = SMALL IMAGES
    images\products\apples\mackintosh.jpg
    images\products\potatoes\kipfler.jpg
    images\products\potatoes\russet.jpg

ALTERNATE or ADDITIONAL IMAGES (PRIMARY/SMALL)
    images\products\apples\mackintosh_caramel.jpg
    images\products\apples\mackintosh_core.jpg
    images\products\apples\mackintosh_slice.jpg
    images\products\potatoes\kipfler_slice.jpg
    images\products\potatoes\russet_baked.jpg

MEDIUM IMAGES
    images\medium\products\apples\mackintosh_MED.jpg
    images\medium\products\potatoes\kipfler_MED.jpg
    images\medium\products\potatoes\russet_MED.jpg

LARGE IMAGES
    images\large\products\apples\mackintosh_LRG.jpg
    images\large\products\potatoes\kipfler_LRG.jpg
    images\large\products\potatoes\russet_LRG.jpg

LARGE ALTERNATE IMAGES
    images\large\products\apples\mackintosh_caramel_LRG.jpg
    images\large\products\apples\mackintosh_core_LRG.jpg
    images\large\products\apples\mackintosh_slice_LRG.jpg
    images\large\products\potatoes\kipfler_slice_LRG.jpg
    images\large\products\potatoes\russet_baked_LRG.jpg

*Although, what's the point?! This will get lost amongst the thousands of other posts and threads due to this unwieldy forum and its poor search capabilities. Maybe I should consider writing Tutorials for Zen Cart Dummies. /whine
    Last edited by molywerks; 29 Feb 2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: oops, added large\ and medium\ to structure

Plugin Contributions

IH2 is in use on the sites in my sig if you want to see it in action.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Ah, that clears up IH a little except image resolution and file naming. Thank you.

So, a couple questions:

1) I take it you're using pretty low image resolution settings? Your base image for Dr. Carson Beckett does not appear as sharp as its large companion.

2) Is there an option to set and retain the base name? Because "476860b2385e99b8a38b1e60691764c9.image.97x120.jpg" is not the ideal desired for SEO.

I will have to give it a whirl when my server is free (never can get ImageMagick to work with my xampp setups), but if the answer to each of the above is 'no', then I'm setting aside the time for Photoshop to do it right.

Note to cartguin: get some food, your whining is beyond acceptable tonight.

Plugin Contributions

The "name" you're seeing is from the bmz_cache. I don't know about retaining the original name of the item.

All the versions of the image are the same image resized on the fly. The "large" one is the original version of the image. Yes, I've compressed the image to make them less attractive to those who might want to copy it instead of buying the item.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey