Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default 125k Products My Store Grounds to a Halt

Earlier this morning I sent a catalog file of 127k products, and my site and admin are now verrrry slow. I emailed my certified host; Camelot, and they said this is strictly a Zen Cart issue. I enabled Gzip compression and changed both of the category counts to false. However, the parse times are still between 10-27 seconds. On my existing site and server (Volusion) I have 200k products and my site is much faster.

Please help, I have another 275k products to go. What else can I do to the site? is there a hosting solution for this? Someone once told me thay had 1 million products on Zen Cart and it was lightning quick. Of course that is what I want.

Here is the link to the dev site. I am still working on the header, and I still have to upload my product images.

http://209.85.34.64/

Thanks for your help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 125k Products Store Grounds to a Halt!

BTW...this is the category that has the slowest load (most products are here).

http://209.85.34.64/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 125k Products My Store Grounds to a Halt

actually kb you told me that your admin was slow,

that is zen cart,

after hitting the link you posted it is slow,
    no Idea why,

10 seconds for 1077 queries

but on the same note here is a link from a page on the same server, with 3925 queries and a query time of 0.565

http://www.carbonless.net/carbcart/i...roducts_id=725

So lets dig a little deeper, are you calling anything from an 0utside source?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The manufacturers sidebox is humongous. Try turning it off, as it's taking a long time to render so many pulldown-menu choices simply due to the size of the HTML generated by that list.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Additionally, do you have any sales active? or Specials? or Features?
    If so, turn those off for now.

Next, are you using attributes on any of your products? If not, there are some things you can turn off in Admin->Configuration->Attribute Settings: Turn off all the things that start with "Enable ..." if they don't apply to your products. This can help reduce the number of database hits used.

Where did you get your template? Did installing your template change any other system files outside the /includes/templates folder?

What addons have you installed, if any?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the responses.

Merlin, I guess you answer the Camelot emails? You may have missed it, but my original message said the site and admin are slow. No, I am not calling anything from an outside source. It started getting slow as soon as I added the large catalog.

WHile adding the catalog, I thought that the manufacturer box would be a good way to list the 7k+ artists. I will take DrByte's advice and turn it off and see if that helps.

I am not yet using any attributes, but I will soon. As for the template, I had a custom design done. Don't know much about what he did (I guess I should), but nothing has been done in the last week. Again, it started after the catalog upload.

Thanks for the tips, and I appreciate the responses. Any other ideas are welcome.

Plugin Contributions

I turned off the manufacturer box and the link above had the following stats:

Parse Time: 19.655 - Number of Queries: 1064 - Query Time: 13.1071200768

ANy other ideas are appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

You have 131474 new products ...

What version of Zen Cart are you running?

In old versions of Zen Cart the new products query was very slow ...

You can also test for what is slowing things down by first turning off the Left Column Globally ... test ... then turn off the Right Column Globally ... test ... then turn off the Centerboxes ... test ...

The Columns can be turned off in the Layout Settings and the Center boxes can be turned off in the Index Listing ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Adding to Ajeh's comment about New Products, you could go to Admin->Configuration->Index Listing ... and for each of the entries that talks about New Products, set it to 0 for now.
    This will turn off the New Products For The Month centerbox ... making things calculate more quickly.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, this has been some great advice!

I experimented and it seems all the boxes with "new", are really slowing the sight down. I turned all of them off and most pages are loading fast, with the exception of the one link above which is about 4.5 seconds. Under this link there are 125k products, in various categories.

As I said before Is till have more products to add which will also go under here. Should I place these cats on the main page (which will add to the size of ctegory box)?

Side question, can Zen Cart really handle this many products?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast