Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

database error MAC OSX equivilent to windows system 32

Help! I have the book and am stuck on page 37. I am trying to set up a domain locally in Mac OSX. The book describes how to do it in windows XP which no offense is useless to mac users. I cannot figure out which file to access on the mac powerbook that is the same as what is referenced on page 37...
    the file in windows that is described is called c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

please can someone tell me what file I need to edit on the MAC? I have checked through this entire forum and the wiki--and am tired of spending hours looking around for no answer.

somone out there must have a simple answer to this question I hope I hope??

Thanks

Paul

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MAC OSX equivilent to windows system 32

Look at:
    /etc/hosts

Perhaps you'll find specific assistance for Mac installation on the MAMP website:
    http://www.mamp.info/
    and their forum:
    http://forum.mamp.info/

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Look at:
    /etc/hosts

Perhaps you'll find specific assistance for Mac installation on the MAMP website:
    and their forum:
    Thank you DrByte for the advice. I went ahead and registered with MAMP and both searched their site as well as posted the same question to their forum. Still nothing.

I have a working website and a domain already on a remote server. However I think it a better idea to set up the zen cart locally for the two reasons of it going faster on the local drive and in case I screw it up I'd rather do it locally. In that I am STUCK on page 37 where it gives the directions to overwrite a C driver (in windows) I cannot proceed and this is HUGELY FRUSTRATING. Having read ahead in the book I think it should all go fairly easily once I can reconfigure the browser to point locally.

There has to be a MAC user out there in Zen land who has encountered this same problem and gotten past it, no? I just need help with getting past the step of setting up a local domain so that I can proceed.

Thanks again,
    Paul

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the advice--I have registered and checked with MAMP, and asked their forum, no reply as of yet.

There must be some MAC user out there that has encountered the same problem with the book on p.37. I want to write to the local drive now (even though I already have a website on a remote server running quite nicely) it makes total sense to do this first on the local drive.

All I need to know is where do I find the so-called 'system 37/local host etc file on the MAC so I can overwrite it as the book explains on page 37??

someone out there must know what I am talking about??

thanks/p

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Look at:
    /etc/hosts

and their forum:

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

As I said before, in Windows, the common location for the file named "hosts" is in
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

On your mac, the common location is:
    \etc\

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for being patient with me and I also apologize for posting twice. I actually do know what I am doing believe it or not--but this stuff here is definitely a first for me.

In the folder etc there is no file named "hosts." Could it be one of these?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

Your screenshot suggests that you have XAMPP rather than MAMP on your Mac. Personally I prefer MAMP. Although XAMPP seems stable on this platform, the guys over at XAMPP clearly aren't too confident about it as their " WARNING: This version of XAMPP is still in the first steps of development. Use at you own risk!" clearly shows. And anyway, MAMP has a better control widget!

I'm 80% sure that you can ignore the need to edit that file mentioned on p.37. Remember that OSX is a close relation of Linux, Windows isn't. So there is much more bending of Windows needed to get it to run like it's a server, than is needed for OSX. I don't recall having had to do anything like this to get either XAMPP or MAMP running as localhost.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    Your screenshot suggests that you have XAMPP rather than MAMP on your Mac. Personally I prefer MAMP. Although XAMPP seems stable on this platform, the guys over at XAMPP clearly aren't too confident about it as their " WARNING: This version of XAMPP is still in the first steps of development. Use at you own risk!" clearly shows. And anyway, MAMP has a better control widget!

I'm 80% sure that you can ignore the need to edit that file mentioned on p.37. Remember that OSX is a close relation of Linux, Windows isn't. So there is much more bending of Windows needed to get it to run like it's a server, than is needed for OSX. I don't recall having had to do anything like this to get either XAMPP or MAMP running as localhost.
    Thank you Kuroi:

Interesting...I had that intuitive idea that maybe it was not necessary to do this on the Mac. I'll try to proceed without doing this step and let you know what happens.

As to XAMPP vs MAMP--the zen cart book instructs us to download and use the XAMPP?? You think I should maybe ignore that as well and go with the MAMP? I did indeed see that warning message which did not inspire confidence! Hmmm--this has me wondering if the book is written more for windows users and if I will be encountering this windows vs Mac problem throughout my journey?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by psarapas View Post
    Hmmm--this has me wondering if the book is written more for windows users and if I will be encountering this windows vs Mac problem throughout my journey?
    The installation of XAMPP or any other personal-computer-webserver is unrelated to running Zen Cart itself.
    That chapter is only there to give you a frame of reference that the author can refer to consistently through the book.
    Every webserver is different ... so the book tried to make things simpler for folks who don't understand those differences.
    Sorry you got stuck in the middle of the differences caused by operating systems.

You could throw out that chapter and still use the book just fine as far as it relates to Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again good Dr.

I will let you all know what happens and hope to just now be able to move along as you suggest. Do you think then that the MAMP vs XAMPP question doesn't even matter then? Or might it come in handy? I basically use Dreamweaver to write code and connect to m remote server etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast