Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

With regard to preparation, I am of the firm belief that the best results are achieved by doing ALL image editing before uploading, and saving the 3 variants at the dimensions you wish to use for display.
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I'm not making me clear. I'm in "Simple" mode and just the phyiscal moving of photos up to the zencart site.

In other words.
    I make the 3 copies on my hard drive.
    reg = thumbnail
    Med = _MED (400x600 or so)
    Lg =_LRG (600x800 or so)
    download = large - .zip file

What's the "BEST" way of working these files.

Do I:
    FTP upload the _MED, _LRG and .zip to the appropriate folders medium, large, and download restpectively??

Leaving the reg (thumnail 200x200) still on my hard drive.

Then:
    I go to set up a NEW product and UPLOAD the reg pic into the normal "IMAGES" file.

Once that is completed the NEW Product will show using the "reg (thumbnail)" image and the about product will show the _MED and the larger will show _LRG.

Then to set up the Download I have to identify the file in the NEW Product area, at the very bottom of the page. (would be nice if there was BROWSE option there)

I'm thinking that's the easiest way, but not having worked with zencart, there could be a simplier way by just uploading FTP ALL files to the appropriate directorys and the NEW Products will appear needing editing..

Thanx for any confirmation or hints..

Heheh.. I hope that helps... it's just the simple way of processing the images, what's the best way..

Sorry, for not being able to clarify...
    Frank Poole
    Have camera, will travel
    www.poolesdive.com - shoppe

Plugin Contributions

Like afo, I've not worked with doenloads, but I assume your download.zip(s) is/are your product(s).

So as you say,

1. FTP all MED & LRG to the appropriate folder.

2. Add/edit each product through admin and use that to upload the Product thumbnail.

You can do the above in reverse order if you wish.

If you have many products, another possibility is to upload all data directly to the database - depends how comfortable you are with that side of things.

Plugin Contributions

OK Ryk,
    Thanks much... hehheh.. but now you've set the hook so-to-speak..
    Upload to DB... using an SQL statement?? actually into the DB or just FTP into the appropriate directories...

The download.zip, I believe, is just a zipped copy of the individual photo (thats my product) in a large, high quality format. It's zipped to keep the general file size to a minimum. The Download directory is where ZenCart holds them and directs/links the customer to that file after paying for it and their ready to download it... or I believe that's the path..

Thanx for the info, would like just a hint of doing the DB thing.. otherwise, it's product by product... thanx..
    Frank Poole
    Have camera, will travel

Plugin Contributions

With regard to db, you may want to take a look at the EasyPopulate mod in the download section (and check out the forum for info on it)

Plugin Contributions

Originally posted by thegrafixguy@Nov 21 2004, 03:08 PM
    Nice tutorial, all the basics are covered ;)
    Having problems with my webmaster that set me up on zen cart & now is too busy helping others so my site is not going anywhere. do you have people that can guide me along
    larry larry AT art90210 DOT com

Plugin Contributions

On the db thing:
    Before I wrote an image-manager modification to handle this I uploaded all images to their proper locations and typed in the path and name of the small product image on the create/update product page. You have to select 'No' for Overwrite Files so just the DB is updated with the new path. Look at one of your existing products for examples how this path should look like. I did not deal with downloads yet so I can't comment on those.

On images in general:
    If you rely very much on editing the images yourself there might be no better way dealing with image creation, and maybe EasyPopulate Ryk mentioned (didn't use it myself though) might prove useful for uploading and database.

If the small and medium images are just smaller versions of your large image, you might as well let the server do the image resizing. Please look at this thread to check out the image-manager. You'd upload one large image (the size you want for _LRG images to for example 'myproduct/pic.jpg') and the other two small/medium sized images are created automatically. All you need is a server where php has GD support (that's for the image processing) or an installation of ImageMagick on the server. You should be able to check that in admin->tools->server info if you find an entry like GD support enabled your fine. If not, you've got to use ImageMagick. It really helps with adding new products. I suppose there are many other helpful tools out there, but I did'nt find one that suited my needs, so I wrote that one. If you are going to try that, please backup your cart and database first!

Regards,
    Tim

Plugin Contributions

I would strongly recommend you use Tim's Image-Manager mod (see the link in the post above and be careful not to confuse it with an earlier contribution called ImageManager) if your store is in the early stages of development and you haven't already added hundreds of products with their associated images.

You will still need to prepare your images to the best quality you can - and you should probably ensure that they are all of the same dimensions if you want to be sure of a uniformity throughout your site - but you only need to prepare the largest version of your image and upload that when Adding/Editing a Product - you can forget about FTPing to medium and large folders ::tup

Plugin Contributions

Ok Ryk,
    That's what I'm looking for.

Luckily, I have only test images up now (early stages of Development) in trying to figure out the best processing on a continuing basis.
    Tim's method makes sense, having GD already on the server and was using PhotoShop CS for the image processing - using the Web Gallery for making the thumbnails and the "_LRG" photos with the copyright across the middle.

Tim's mod seems the easiest way now. So will try to make it happen. As I now understand it, once Tim's mod is working, When I have a new product, photos for downloading, I just have to do the following:

- ADD new Product (Photos) and Browse-Upload- the larger image I'd use for showing. The GD System (already installed) will resize to thumbnail and med sized as needed

- Upload the "Downloadable Zip" file into the /download/ directory to make available for the customer to download once paid.

I can upload FTP the large images and when ADDing a NEW Product, Just put the path and file name in instead of uploading each one. I'll figure out the "PATH" to put in, as it didn't work the first time I tried it...

One day at a time eh??

Thanx both, Tim and Ryk, for the info... it helps a great deal.

On to the next one eh??

http://www.poolesdive.com/shoppe/index.php?
    Frank Poole
    Have camera, will travel

Plugin Contributions

You have to "browse upload" every image for resizing to be done. FTPing the images won't work that way (a least it won't resize). You can still upload your three manually resized images though and set the name with selecting 'No' for Overwrite image. Just upload your high detail 'product-image.jpg' for example and the small, medium and large images are created/moved.

Regards,
    Tim

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast