Plugin Contributions

Default Create a new drop down menu in admin navigation

O. K. Here goes

I am currently in the process of rebuilding our storefront and have decided that I need to add an additional drop down menu in the admin naviagtion header. We currently have up to 20 additional tasks/links that we need to be able to access to process & fulfill our customers orders and we need to access these links with as little trouble as possible. Being able to access these tools directly through the admin in a must.

Some would say to store our links in the links tool bar of our browser but this is not what we need because sometimes we are accessing the admin from a remote system and would not have access to certian logon information.

I know that there is the module to add links into the header (with the admin - catalog - support site - etc...) but it is just too congested when you do that.

I just need the instructions to create a new admin navigation dropdown menu and I can go from there with populating it with the new links.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Create a new drop down menu in admin navigation

If you look at the /admin/includes/boxes/extra_boxes folder, you'll see a number of files which are auto-processed to populate addon items in the existing menus.

You could use the Extras menu for your additional options. And if you don't need the music-product related choices already in there, you could re-use them for your own needs or at least use them as an example to start from.

Adding extra pulldown choices requires additional coding in various places, and poses a potential problem of insufficient screen width to handle extra menu options "across" ... hence the suggestion to use the existing "Extras" menu to add your various needs.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.