Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Montreal, Canada. Manhattan, New York, USA
    Plugin Contributions

red flag Can I have more than one zen cart website with one webhosting in one account

I use hostgator as my webhost. They offers unlimited domain hosting with 5 databases for my account.

I am in the process of making about 250 websites for my online shops in different industries, ie. 250 domain names. Can I have more than one zen cart website with one webhosting in one account? I can put the second database / zen cart site /public_html/second domain zen cart site..... and the third zencart website at: /public_html/third zencart database(site) ....and so forth up to 5 databases. Am I correct? Pl. advice.
    www.pansatpro.com
    FTA Free TV Equipments

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I have more than one zen cart website with one webhosting in one account

You are limited only by the constraints of your hosting account. We have a local test server here at Kuroi which is unconstrained and has literally hundreds of Zen Carts under a single account (I'll get around to doing some housekeeping one of these days!).
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Montreal, Canada. Manhattan, New York, USA
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I have more than one zen cart website with one webhosting in one account

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    You are limited only by the constraints of your hosting account. We have a local test server here at Kuroi which is unconstrained and has literally hundreds of Zen Carts under a single account (I'll get around to doing some housekeeping one of these days!).
    It says it cannot have more than 1 script (I assume the fantasticaco script) in the root directory and the installation of zen cart was not able to continue for me to set up another zen cart store though.. I use the fantastic deluxe at my c panel to install the zen cart software for my current /first zen cart store. Pl. have a look, www.christianbonus.com . Thanks.
    www.pansatpro.com
    FTA Free TV Equipments

Plugin Contributions

It says it cannot have more than 1 script (I assume the fantasticaco script) in the root directory and the installation of zen cart was not able to continue for me to set up another zen cart store
    That is correct..however you can still add another zencart to a sub folder... i.e. /cart
    However installing zencart via Fantastico is NOT a good idea..

Plugin Contributions

MatchManhattan, if you are setting up 250 sites (!) I would strongly recommend that you NOT use HostGator. Pick a certified Zen host from the tab at the top of the page instead.

HostGator is one of these huge companies that hosts a bazillion sites, so they frequently make completely arbitrary (if not capricious) decisions about their policies. A couple of years ago, they decided to disable all "contact us" scripts. Without notice. Then they switched to running php as a cgi and required specific permissions on files - without notice. Both of these changes resulted in outages for some of my stuff. Color me irritated.

Good luck,
    Scott
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I use hostgator as my webhost. They offers unlimited domain hosting with 5 databases for my account.

I am in the process of making about 250 websites for my online shops in different industries
    You will not be able to create 250 Zen Carts with only 5 DB's even using prefixes this would become un-manageable

How are you going to monitor and provide fullfillment for 250 shops - unless you have a staff

If you proceed - shared hosting for $10-20+/month is not a prudent course for this many businesses that one would assume are to be profit centers
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    That is correct..however you can still add another zencart to a sub folder... i.e. /cart
    However installing zencart via Fantastico is NOT a good idea..
    Why not ?

I installed via Fantastico.

I can have up to 50 MySQL databases on my InMotion Hosting account.

Plugin Contributions

Installing via Fantastico shields you from learning details you need to know to manage your cart. You will need to know how the files are organized in order to upgrade when the next release comes out.

Installing from Fantastico means you haven't installed locally so you don't have a test cart. This means that any change you make goes onto your live cart. This is very risky.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Why not ?
    When the time comes, and it will, to attempt new upgrade, you
    will then know why not to install your initial cart via Fantastico.

Plugin Contributions

Can you be more specific ?

In the zen cart admin it says check for updates - Don't you just click that and update or am i going to lose everything when i do ?

If so i won't update unless there are some serious security problems which are so far unknown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast