Plugin Contributions

Default Multiple Use for Gift Certificate

Hrm - I'm not sure how to do this, or if it can be done.

I've built a store front for a wedding photographer. She wants to offer gift certificates that can be used for Session Fees, Products or Services. This poses a dilemma - since gift certificates are usually used only for store products.

How can the gift certificate be set up to allow the amount paid (pre-defined amounts) to be used toward a portrait session, for example? It seems easy, that the amount paid would just be deducted from the session fee, but how should it be handled within the system? Since the amount would be floating around in the admin, what is the best way to handle preventing that amount from being doubled up and used on a store product?

Vice versa, if the amount is used in the store, I suppose it is a simple matter of just tracking the certificate and not allowing it.

It just seems a little confusing, since the customer doesn't have to specify how they want to use the certificate when it is purchased.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple Use for Gift Certificate

I've got a similiar situation I want to use them for.

I was wondering if you could post Sessions etc.. per hour as a product? Then have a category of such things?

Plugin Contributions

That is a possible solution, however - I don't want to make it difficult for viewers to purchase items. The general gift certificate is a good match. Too many different items tends to confuse and frustrate, which may lead to them leaving the site.

I'm still looking for a way to handle the original issue, rather than a work-around just yet.

(thanks for the post thought! )

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Have you considered using DISCOUNT VOUCHERS?

These are similar in some ways to GC's, as you can attach a "value" to them in much the same way. They also have the advantage of being usable only once/many times, and/or by one/many customer(s), and/or by specific products, categories and time-scales.

It may be possible to re-word the labels "Discount Voucher" to something more appropriate for your needs, by editing "define" statements in the relevant language php files.

Then, you set up your services as products, so that a session with the photographer can be booked and paid for online, with the customer redeeming the discount voucher value along the way.

Gift Certificates are little more than an "advance payment" for goods/services to be ordered at a later date. As such, it's a negotiable instrument (like cash) and can be sent to (and ultimately redeemed by) anyone who comes into the shop. Discount Coupons are easier to control.

Plugin Contributions

Hmmm...not a bad idea. I forgot to mention this however: she isn't selling her sessions online, just albums, prints, etc.

Her clients set up sessions with her personally. I don't think she will be likely to change this arrangement.

I guess maybe what I'm looking for is the ability to cancel out a gift certificate within Admin in case the client decides to use the G.C for a different service (one that isn't sold online).

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Tiger View Post
    I guess maybe what I'm looking for is the ability to cancel out a gift certificate within Admin in case the client decides to use the G.C for a different service (one that isn't sold online).
    I don't think this can be done in Admin... you need to get into your database (phpMyAdmin) and clean it out there - which is a bit of a mission...

I therefore think that discount vouchers - tweaked in a manner I suggest - may be your best option.