Plugin Contributions

Default Confused about installing add-ons

I've just installed Zencart 1.3.8 to a Readyhosting.com Windows 2003 server running php 5.1.2 and MySQL 4.1.22. I also installed Zenmagick to the site. I haven't installed any other mods, and I've been playing around with populating the database.

I'd like to add a couple of other add-ons, but I'm a bit confused about the install routine. Documentation seems to be incomplete on the install process, unless I'm missing something.

In a couple of instances, the install instructions say to Unzip the archive, then FTP it to your server. The challenge is, when I unzip some of the archives, they have the exact folder structure as my existing Zencart folders. If I copy the folder structure from the unzipped archive, it would overwrite the existing structure. The archives don't unzip into their own separate folder, unless I'm doing something wrong.

As I missing something? I've a solid Windows & DOS background, which tells me that I can't unzip or unrar an archive into a similar structure without overwriting the same folder name. Are things different in the *NIX universe? I know files are case-sensitive, but I would expect a similar behavior to DOS.

BTW, I'm using either Windows XP native unzip support, or PowerArchiver.

If anyone can shed light on this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Confused about installing add-ons

The folks here who use FileZilla say it will simply add the new files and subdirectories to the existing structure, not delete what is already there. I'm too chicken to have tried that, when I've installed new templates I've manually copied the new files and subdirectories in.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Sylvia
    PM at your own risk, I don't check in regularly!
    MamaSylvia.com My ZenCart tutorial
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

What works for me?

Back it up, and then spray and pray... I don't like the duplicate directory trees... I've been using SSH Secure Shell, and it's slow, but it works.

Plugin Contributions

"Documentation seems to be incomplete on the install process, unless I'm missing something.

In a couple of instances, the install instructions say to Unzip the archive, then FTP it to your server."

For a properly packaged mod, that is exactly what you need to do, and it is as simple as dropping the mod's /includes/ folder into your store's root... that is, as long as you are using a reliable utility like Filezilla.

Matching folders will merge into the existing ones, and new subfolders if any will be added to the existing structure.

Matching files are subject to overwriting existing ones, but for a properly built mod this can only be a problem in two cases: when modifying files that are not within the template override system; and when a previously installed mod affects the same file as the new mod.