Plugin Contributions

Default Header.php - can't customise

Hi, I have version 1.3.8 installed OK and am using Cherry_Zen template. Managed to change colours etc., and have uploaded new logo OK. But, when I go to remove "Your logo could be wider here, Sales Text header...." it looks weird, like when you start Windows in Safe mode - all big and not centered.

Put the original back and everything is fine. I have even tried upoading the original Zen Cart file and changing it - same thing happens.
    Site is www.archives.net.au and the cart is www.archives.net.au/cart not linked to the site as yet.

Been trying to work this out for 2 days now so any help would be greatfully received. And thank you in advance to all of you who help newbies like me. Cheers
    Julie

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Header.php - can't customise

Additional information: I have just put an item in the cart and the page showing the cart contents is fine - right size and certered - hope this helps

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

While "editing" header.php, it looks like you've corrupted something... there are strange characters appearing right at the top. Compare your edit with the original header.php file and see where you've gone wrong.

In your ADMIN...TOOLS menu, select "Developers Tool Kit", then, in the LAST field, type in:-

Your logo could be wider here

Then choose to search in both Catalog & Admin, then search.

This will return all files that contain that text string.

You must open the file to edit the DEFINE statement and make sure you use a pure TEXT editor. Crimson Editor (free on the WWW) is a good one. DON'T edit using a HTML editor, Dreamweaver, FrontPage, NOR any editor in your c-panel, etc.

Find the line containing the text string - it will probably begin with define. Then REMOVE all the text between the two single quote marks - leave the single quote marks intact.

Save the file.

You can also use CSS to hide the tagline...

find:-

#tagline {

in your CSS

and make it look like this:-

#tagline {
    display: none;
    }

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much, I am having trouble ftp'ing at the moment; I'll let you know I get one once I can edit the file.
    I was using Microsft Expressions to edit files and wondered if that method of editing and uploading was the problem.
    Kind regards, J.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Don't use Microsoft ANYTHING to edit files.

Use notepad++ (thats NOT notepad) or better still, Crimson Editor (free on the www).

Core files cannot be edited by any RTF editor, and that includes most html editors as well.

Also, don't use the editors you may see on your C-Panel. Always FTP a copy of the file to your hard drive. Edit it with Crimson Editor, then save to your hard drive, then ftp to your over-rides directory.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for that, I now have Crimson Editor but unfortunately can't access my site via ftp with either it or FileZilla. The host company are trying to work it out [SpiritConnect - they are great] but at least for now I was able to use the code editor in CPanel and it worked.
    Thanks again! J.