Plugin Contributions

cart error shopping cart won't display - what else to try before I reinstall zen cart?

Full disclosure: I posted this problem a few days ago in the Page Layout Changes folder and have had no response. In retrospect that was probably not the appropriate place for this problem. Please forgive me for reposting (an updated version) but this is my last ditch effort before I start over with my Zen Cart install - ugggh. Thanks.

www.charlestonislandscreations.com/catalog

The symptoms are that selecting the Shopping Cart link that appears in the very top header bar results in a blank shopping cart page (starts to load and then just hangs before the page is updated. This appears to be the only page that does this in the sytem. Refreshing/reloading the hung page has no effect although pushing the back button in the browser gets you back to the previous page. Items can be added to the cart and the checkout process works without fail. This problem occurs in both Firefox and Explorer.

Changing from my customized template back to the Classic zen cart template has no effect on the error.

I have installed two add-on modules which I suspect may have something to do with this. I installed Stock by Attributes first and I believe the system still worked after this install. Then I installed Fast and Easy Checkout. It seems reasonable to expect one of these modules has caused the problem but I restored backup files that would have been overwritten by these modules. Nothing.

While trying to solve this problem, I have installed the Debug Error Logging Utility, turned on error logging at the server level and intalled the /local/configure.php file which switches on strict error logging for zen cart. I have double checked permissions to all appropriate directories but get no error messages anywhere. I have searched this forum and tried everything I could find. Where have I gone wrong?

So, the problem is that I can't figure out which file is the culprit. Shopping_cart.php does not seem to be a suspect because it still shows the original install date and original size. I have even run Beyond Compare on the entire system and verified that shopping_cart.php is identical to the original.

So the question is how to determine which file is causing the trouble - or better, which php files run when you click on Shopping cart so I can at least narrow my search for the problem.

Thanks so much for any suggestions

John

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: shopping cart won't display - what else to try before I reinstall zen cart?

I had a similiar problem after editing the english.php file found in Includes/Languages - Its probably not your problem but thought it would be worth mentioning just in case.

If there are any error messages i find using Admin/Tools - Developers Tool Kit very useful as it can tell you the exact file that is causing the problem.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: shopping cart won't display - what else to try before I reinstall zen cart?

Problem solved!!

Mal2869 you got me thinking about the Developer's Toolkit. I pressed the Shopping Cart button and went to the blank page. I used my browser's View Source option and I could then see what little of the page was loading. It was literally the first three lines of a php file.

I pasted some of the info that appeared into the Developer's Toolkit. It found 2 instances of the code in two different files but more interesting was the fact that the search produced errors when it tried to scan a number of files. All of them were located in catalog/includes/modules/pages /shopping_cart.

Bingo!!

I changed the permissions on the catalog/includes/modules/pages /shopping_cart folder (which were mysteriously different than other folders in the same subdirectory) and presto!! everything worked.

Perhaps I changed these permissions inadvertently at some point but that seems strange. Anyway, it works now.

Thanks so much for you input!!!

John