Thread: Currency Issue

Plugin Contributions

Default Currency Issue

Apologies if this has been asked and answered "many times" before but here goes.

I want to use two currencies only on my site. Euro and USD.

So how to I automatically populate my site with the appropriate currency depending on the visitors location.

In other words if a USD customer visits my page they get all prices in USD but if anyone outside the US visits they get the site prices in EURO ?

many thanks in advance.

Zorg.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Currency Issue

Customers can choose the active currencies from a sidebox drop-down. You just need to activate the sidebox and decide where to put it.

On your home page, it may be useful to point out (prominently) that customers can select currencies.

To have zencart able to determine where in the world your visitors are coming from may require significant custom coding as geo-location is generally determined by IP address... but beware... Sometimes ISP have a presence in a country, but their IP's are located in another country.

People aren't dumb... if you position your currency sidebox in a place where it's visible, people will select the currency of their choice.

What is more useful to you is setting a CRON TAB that updates your currency exchange rates automatically - otherwise (in today's financially turbulent markets) you should manually update currencies twice a day.

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

I think it would still be a good idea to provide a currency sidebox or equivalent, because as fairestcape mentioned, IP analysis isn't 100% reliable. After all, you don’t want your visitors to get stuck with the wrong currency.

Plugin Contributions

I agree with you on this. I live in one country (for work related reasons) but my credit card and bank are in the USA. I have a hard time getting through the mess when they recognize my ip as being in another country. I appreciate having the option to choose what currency I will pay in.