Plugin Contributions

Default [Not a bug] Redemption code not sent on email.

DrByte,

Both in your post http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...EDEMPTION+CODE (see below) as well as the ZC FAQ on Gift certificates note that when a customer buys a gift certificate they are sent an email with a redemption code.

Re: Gift certificates
    ################################################################################
    FAQ on Gift Certificates:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=64

When you set up a gift certificate and the customer buys it (completes payment and checkout), they are sent an email with a redemption code. When they redeem that code either by clicking on the link or by keying in the code on the checkout-payment page (or the gv-redemption screen), then the customer will have GV funds available to them for use in that or future transactions …

As I note on an earlier post elsewhere http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...t=36385&page=3 , the original purchasing customer never receives a redemption code. And, nowhere in Admin can this redemption code be found. Sure, I can generate one in admin and then send that redemption code in a separate email, but that should not be necessary (since it should have been already generated).

You may be asking; Why does he want to send the redemption code when all the customer has to do is login and send the gv to someone else? That process is not a problem. It works like a charm. However, if the customer purchases a gift certificate, (as a pdf or jpg download image) and prints that image for the sole purpose of handing that printed gift image with a redemption code to someone as a gift, he/she will not be able, since the customer never receives a redemption code.

Both you and the FAQ indicate that the redemption code is sent out. So, I must be doing something wrong or ZC has minor bug and is not allowing the redemption code to be sent out in the original email or indicated in Admin.

Question: Is there a switch that I do not know about that will allow me to automatically send the redemption code upon release of the gift certificate and be seen in Admin or is there a minor bug? If there is no switch, how do I code it so it happens?

Please, I am not trying to be pushy, but I am confused about what to do.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Redemption code not sent on email.

This is not a bug. It's a configuration setting in your shop.

If you have the Redemption Queue disabled, so that the store administrator doesn't need to approve the Gift Certificate purchase, then the balance is automatically added to the purchaser's account.

Admin->Modules->Order Total->Gift Certificates->Queue Purchases
    Queue Purchases
    Do you want to queue purchases of the Gift Voucher?

*-true
    *-false

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Redemption code not sent on email.

Because I am only using PayPal ec for payment, I felt that the automatic release would be appropriate (less likelihood of fraud, speed, etc.). So, the answer is yes, I am using the automatic release.

Thus, are you saying that:
    Automatic release (no queue) = no redemption code issued to purchaser
    No automatic release (purchase must be put into queue) = redemption code issued to purchaser

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Not a bug] Redemption code not sent on email.

DrByte,
    I tried with queue purchases of the Gift Voucher to true. Depending on the purchase you get several results.
    1) if I use a gift certificate to purchase a gift certificate and have a $0.00 cost then I get email with no Redemption code.
    2) If I go thru standard procedures for purchase of gift certificate with PayPal I get all PayPal info at the store. The consumer gets all PayPal info for the consumer. The consumer receives the first store email saying that they have purchased a gift certificate at store. However, when I release the gift certificate. The consumer does not get any email. I believe that there is a problem.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte,
    A correction, my email was very slow and we did get the email after the release from the Redemption Code Queue. But, as you can see from the received email below we DO NOT receive a redemption code.

Dear XXXXXXXX You recently purchased a Gift Certificate from our online store.For security reasons this was not made immediately available to you. However, this amount has now been released. You may now visit our store and send the value of the Gift Certificate via email to someone else, or use it yourself. The Gift Certificate(s) you purchased are worth $1.00

Given the above I believe (unless you tell me otherwise) we have a small bug.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

No, it's functioning as designed. Once the gift certificate funds are released from the queue, they are available to the purchaser ... as confirmed by the email sent ... with specific instructions whereby you can send the funds to someone else directly from your My Account area.

You are trying to get it to generate redemption codes in order to use paper gift certificates, right? (Further confirmed by your posts in the other thread.)

To do that, you should hire someone to write custom code for your needs.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte,
    You are very correct. I am trying to get it to a generate redemption code in order to use paper gift certificates. Regrettably, I was under the impression that the system as designed would do so, and that I (or ZC) was doing something wrong. The reason I thought this was my interpretation of the FAQ and your earlier post.

I now understand that my interpretation was incorrect and ZC is truly functioning as it was designed. ZC will NOT send a redemption code to the original purchaser. Also, it does not matter if you have the purchase queue of the Gift Voucher is set to either true or false. The purchaser will never receive a redemption code.

If I am correct in my new analysis, may I suggest that the Gift Certificate FAQ more clearly reflect this information so that others do not make the same mistake that I did.

Thank you for letting us know how the gift certificate module truly works.

Anyone out there that can write code for this?