Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Site goes down when I try to activate customers testimonials!

Hi,

I have a strange problem. It has lasted for months.
    I am using zen-cart_1.3.8 and testimonial_manager_v1.4.4. And hosted on a VPS hosting account.

I have recieve tons of testimonials through testimonial manager.
    I really appreciate the author who wrote this add-on. It really helped me a lot.

But there is one thing always confuses me.

When I started to try to activate a customer's testimonial (set its status on), my site always went down. Like 10 times I did that, my site might go down for 7 times.

And each time the site would return a blank page but it would get back to work in 1-2 minutes itself. And then if I continued to activate more testimonials, it worked well.
    I called my hosting company, they said I must inform them when the problem happen again. While the problem is everytime, it only last 1-2 minutes. When it happen again, there is only 1-2 minutes for me to call them and let them to check the status.

Also the site might have the same problem in other situation, but testimonial manager thing reproduce the problem most times.

Do you have any clue what the problem is?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site goes down when I try to activate customers testimonials!

Quote Originally Posted by guzj99 View Post
    Hi,

I have a strange problem. It has lasted for months.
    I am using zen-cart_1.3.8 and testimonial_manager_v1.4.4. And hosted on a VPS hosting account.

I have recieve tons of testimonials through testimonial manager.
    I really appreciate the author who wrote this add-on. It really helped me a lot.

But there is one thing always confuses me.

When I started to try to activate a customer's testimonial (set its status on), my site always went down. Like 10 times I did that, my site might go down for 7 times.

And each time the site would return a blank page but it would get back to work in 1-2 minutes itself. And then if I continued to activate more testimonials, it worked well.
    I called my hosting company, they said I must inform them when the problem happen again. While the problem is everytime, it only last 1-2 minutes. When it happen again, there is only 1-2 minutes for me to call them and let them to check the status.

Also the site might have the same problem in other situation, but testimonial manager thing reproduce the problem most times.

Do you have any clue what the problem is?
    This is the first I've heard about this type of problem so I really have no idea what the issue might be.

What other situations cause the problem?

do you get any type of error message?

Plugin Contributions

No error message.
    Just I might suddenly recieve blank page.
    Then I trid to ping my domain. It responded well.

I can't tell other random situations. It always happened suddenly.

Does it sound like hosting problem?
    I have no idea if my customers may encounter similar problem.
    I will set up a site uptime monitor.

Plugin Contributions

Try this:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82

See if you get any error the next time you activate it
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

I checked 'Error log' in site cpanel.
    It's full of 'File does not exist' messages. Can't see previous logs.
    That's because 2 image files missed. I uploaded 2 blank image file to avoid this error log.

I will wait to see what error I may get next time.

Thanks for your help, I will keep this updated.

Plugin Contributions

It happened again just now.
    And I found no log in system error log through 'cpanel error log'.

Plugin Contributions

just updated testimonial manager to the latest version,

problem still exist!

I found I can reproduce the situation like this:

Stay away from my site for half an hour or more, then go to zen-cart admin area, and open 'tools-->testimonial manager '
    Then click on any one testimonial list, I then will get a blank page suddenly.
    And then wait about 1-2 minutes, I can open the site again, and am able to use the testimonial manager pretty well.

Then if I don't touch my site for another while and do the same thing as I said above, problem will occur again.

Plugin Contributions

Weird, but one possible problem I can think of: the mod somehow kills off the apache server or mysql server and forces it to restart. But why only on the first use? Pretty weird. One has to look inside this module code to figure out if there is any thing causes this, perhaps the author of this mod can help.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    Weird, but one possible problem I can think of: the mod somehow kills off the apache server or mysql server and forces it to restart. But why only on the first use? Pretty weird. One has to look inside this module code to figure out if there is any thing causes this, perhaps the author of this mod can help.
    This is the first instance of this type of problem being reported with the mod.

I have the mod installed on three of my own sites as well as running on my PC through xampp and have not been able to reproduce the described behavior.