Plugin Contributions

Default Blank page from link in categories

I've searched the forum for days, literally, and can find nothing on this. I don't know if it's a bug or what and so I thought I'd put it here.

My cart is at 200westmain.com/citypretties

It is a new install of the Classic Green template. Here is my version:

Zen Cart 1.3.8a
    Database Patch Level: 1.3.8
    v1.3.8 [2008-04-26 00:51:50] (Fresh Installation)
    v1.3.8 [2008-04-26 00:51:50] (Fresh Installation)

I have done no customizing in the stylesheet, so there's no chance I've caused any syntax errors. I have added a category for bracelets and one for earrings. I added one bracelet as a product. When I click on the link for "bracelets" in the categories sidebox, it takes me to a blank page. If I click on "earrings" it takes me to a page that states "There are no products to list in this category."

Now, if I click on the image of the bracelet in the New Products sidebox, it takes me to the product page.

I had my whole site set up before and noticed this happening. Any category in which there were products loaded would take me to a blank page if I clicked on it. I followed instructions from the tutorials to check for syntax errors and screwed something up, and found myself unable to access the entire site. So I started over with a clean installation and thought I'd see if the same thing happens right off the bat, without any altering any php's or the stylesheet and only working from the Admin. It did, and that's where I am.

Does anyone have a clue? Cause I sure don't.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Blank page from link in categories

Try step 2a from this FAQ: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82
    It should help show you where the problem is in your files and/or customizations.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I cannot perform the first debugging check with that software as it is for Windows machines and I am on a Mac.

I performed the second, creating the "local" folder and a "configure.php" file inside it with the code listed on that tutorial and it pointed to errors in that very configure.php file (a syntax error warning in line 7 and a T-string error in line 8). When I disposed of the folder, as it did me no good, I lost my whole site to a blank page.

As I said, I've not altered any syntax whatsoever in the files. None at all. Only that which can be configured from my Admin panels. Even then, it was only to change my password and user name and add two categories and one product.

Is it possible it's still a syntax error even though I've done no modifications to any files through anything but Admin? I mean this was a completely virgin installation.

Plugin Contributions

Here is the URL that the blank page is at:

http://200westmain.com/citypretties/...=index&cPath=1

Is it possible it could be a cache thing? Should I delete the cart, empty my cache and then re-download the cart? Or am I just stabbing in the dark?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

A blank page is a result of a PHP syntax error introduced by one or more of your customizations or having files in unexpected places.

Step 2(a) in the article I referenced instructs you to upload a specific file (which you can download via the linked page in the article) so that Zen Cart will log all PHP errors to a file so you can read where the problems are occurring.

From what you wrote it seems you did everything except step 2a.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I was under the impression 2(a) wouldn't work for me because of the different platforms. I have just noticed that a file called "enable_error_logging.php" exists on my desktop. I have already deleted the cart from the server and am going to start over yet again. I think it actually may be something in 1.3.8a and so I'm not going to upload that.

I'll let you know.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CPJ View Post
    I I think it actually may be something in 1.3.8a
    ?? I'm not sure I understand your logic there ... there are hundreds, even thousands, of stores using 1.3.8a with great success ...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    ?? I'm not sure I understand your logic there ... there are hundreds, even thousands, of stores using 1.3.8a with great success ...
    Sure, but at this point, I'm so frustrated, logic doesn't make it any easier for me to understand why I am having this problem.

I have not modified anything. Nothing. That is, except for going in to the Admin and adding a bracelets category and an earrings category. Then I added a bracelet as the product in the bracelets category. I did no other customizing. Honest.

I thought I had screwed up the syntax previously when it was doing this, but apparently I have not. Because even after deleting and loading the cart again, the blank page only occurs when I've added a product to the category through the admin page. So if it's because of my adding the product, then the admin page is actually screwing up the syntax because I'm following "fill in the blanks" setup there.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear.

The reason I think it may be 1.3.8a is that this is the third time I've uploaded a cart. The first cart did not have the blank page issue and it was not 1.3.8a. So I'm going back to that.