Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MAMP/XAMPP set up local host

You may also want to double-check your individual email account settings in your Mac Mail to make sure that they are configured properly to use your web-based email server's domain instead of the example.com domain.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Ok I am trying to install zencart 1,3,8a with mamp on a mac 10.3.9

When I start mamp this is the page I get.

http://localhost/MAMP/?language=English

In the pref pane of mamp port 80 is selected and mysql port 3306.

( I have been through page one Dr instructions about 25 times now FYI)

I previously downloaded 1.3.8 and never got it to work only one time and could not get it started again. I did not trash that version but installed the unzipped folder for 1.3.8a in the htdocs in a folder called zencarta. In comparing them the in the includes folder there is no configure.php in the new version. As I wanted to make sure osx read write permissions were correctly set.

I get the 404 error when I try to go to this address

http://localhost/zencarta to start the zen cart install.

I did set up a new database for zencarta.

This is really starting to get frustrating as I have built html sites, from scratch and thought I was relatively computer literate. I keep going through this and I can't even..........

Well you get the idea.

Any ideas on where this is going awry?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jerryhad1 View Post
    I previously downloaded 1.3.8 and never got it to work only one time and could not get it started again. I did not trash that version but installed the unzipped folder for 1.3.8a in the htdocs in a folder called zencarta. In comparing them the in the includes folder there is no configure.php in the new version. As I wanted to make sure osx read write permissions were correctly set.
    Couple of problems I can see there. First, you say you did not delete the earlier install? Best to do that. In fact, delete the current one too and start over with a clean, empty, fresh folder.

Second, you say there is no configure.php file in /includes/? That file is called dist-configure.php in the downloaded file set. You're supposed to rename it to configure.php at some point during the install. You'll be prompted to do so. (There's a similar one in /admin/includes/ which is handled the very same way.)

Rob

Plugin Contributions

I agree - delete both installs of Zencart and start from scratch. Does the MAMP homepage come up ok at http://localhost/MAMP/?language=English ?

What do you see when you go to http://localhost/ ?

Are you using the htdocs folder in applications/MAMP?

If we go through it step by step im sure we will fix it :)

Nick

Plugin Contributions

So I am going for a fresh install of the whole thing. I am assuming this will delete the database that I had set up for the test as well.

Should I think about installing 1.4 or 2.0 whichever as the 1.3.8a will not be supported by year end if I read correctly.

Can I leave MAMP on as is or redo/reset anything there?

As mentioned I used to think me was smart with computer, but now not so much.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Plugin Contributions

A fresh install of Zen Cart will not do anything to your database by itself. Zen Cart and the database it uses are independant entities. But you can fill the database with ZC's default products during the install if you wish, or just leave it alone.

If you think the database is suspect in any way, then treat it as a new blank one when the install reaches that point, and let ZC write over whatever is in it.

As for "Should I think about installing 1.4 or 2.0 whichever as the 1.3.8a will not be supported by year end if I read correctly. " There is no v1.4, nor is there any v2.0 -- yet. There will some day be a v2.0 and a v.139 (basically 1.3.8a with all the bug fixes and security updates included), but no one knows when.

So go ahead with 1.3.8a.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Dr. Byte,
    Thanks for the excellently detailed directions for getting MAMP up and running.

I've got a ZenCart store that is up live and was wondering what the steps would be if I am wanting to grab a copy of what I currently have up and bring it into MAMP so I can make future edits on my local machine (using MAMP) and avoid any costly errors messing up the live site?

I'm guessing I "backup" my current httpdocs folder from my live server, as well as "backup" my database from the live server and import them into MAMP?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.
    I am having a bit of trouble with "importing" my MySql database into my local server.
    Here is the error I'm getting:
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`user` varchar(100) collate utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL default '',
    `pass` varcha' at line 1

I'm guessing I need to "export" the database from the live server with some different options. No idea which options those might be though...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

In the second FAQ link I gave earlier there are links to a related FAQ on doing backups with phpMyAdmin: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=103
    Lots of other useful info in the FAQ area ;)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast