Plugin Contributions

application error PayPal Express Checkout Errors 10401, 11059, 10426 with JPY

Hi folks.
    First, thanks for a great product. On the whole, my first zen cart experience has gone extremely well so far. I am having an issue with PayPal Express Checkout...it chokes when customers select Japanese yen (JPY) as their currency. This is a big deal as the core focus of the site is the Japanese market.

Here are the background details:
    -fresh zc install of v1.3.8a
    -manually updated Japanese language pack (used on front end only) from v1.3.0
    -running on php server(s)
    -hosted with mosso
    -very basic zc set-up for now, no coupons, downloads, or taxes...only flat shipping
    -default currency is US Dollars

Here is the problem:
    -paypal express checkout throws errors when Japanese Yen (JPY) is the selected currency,but appears to work fine for USD, GBP, EUR, AUD, CAD
    -error logs show that it fails on first API call, 'SetExpressCheckout'
    -error shown on front end is 10401 (order total invalid)
    -errors in log suggest something else/more is going on, as the above error is joined by 11059 (conflicting currency codes) and 10426 (order total invalid)

Here is the troubleshooting done so far:
    -confirmed client has JPY balance opened in their PP account
    -confirmed that offline card processing works in JPY through virtual terminal
    -changed formatting of JPY to exactly match other currencies (2 decimal places, '.' for decimal point, ',' for thousands separator, currency symbol on left)
    (note: requirement for decimal places in JPY is confusing and meaningless, as no consumer transactions are conducted using fractions of yen)
    -confirmed the settings for JPY formatting above are valid as far as PayPal is concerned
    -placed test order in yen with customer address in US - same errors
    -placed test order in yen with customer address in Japan - same errors
    -considered exchange rate may be an issue, as JPY generally trades in excess of 100 to 1USD. This results in order totals regularly exceeding 10,000 'units' and PayPal does seem to cap transactions at $10,000 USD.
    -placed test order for product priced at 1JPY (about $0.01 USD) - same errors
    -still curious about exchange rate/amount ceilings, added Hungarian Forints (HUF, trades roughly 150HUF to 1USD), as well as Hong Kong Dollars (HKD, trades around 8HKD to 1USD)
    -placed test order in excess of 10,000HUF - same errors
    -placed test order in excess of 10,000HKD - no error!
    -contacted PayPal, they are very helpful but haven't found the problem

It's a slippery one -either really complicated or really simple! Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: PayPal Express Checkout Errors 10401, 11059, 10426 with JPY

The advice I received from PayPal was as follows:
    "The AMT value for Yen can not include digits after the decimal. For example 202304.78 will not work, but 202304 will work. I would also suggest removing the commas from the AMT value before sending the API call to PayPal."

This is a little maddening as it openly conflicts with what is in their documentation (ie, that the AMT passed to the API *must* have a period decimal marker followed by 2 decimal places).

Followed their suggestion, but still experienced the error. Noticed that the exchange rates as updated through ZenCart include several siginificant digits past the decimal point, and suspected this created an AMT that produced the error I was experiencing.

After manually updating the exchange rate for JPY to a whole number value, the call to PayPal Express Checkout worked as expected.

Problem solved. Hope this can be of use to others with currency errors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal Express Checkout Errors 10401, 11059, 10426 with JPY

It certainly helped me!!! Thanks for posting.