Thread: E-mail settings

Plugin Contributions

Default E-mail settings

Good evening.
    I am writing in order to ask once more for configurations or explanations about how to configure correctly zen cart in order to receive and send e-mails.
    I have a server at my home and installed zen cart. As I have dinamic IP, I tried to use a gmail and yahoo accounts without luck. Also installed IIS SMTP/POP server in my computer, but also without luck (even using no-ip and configuring MX record there, gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc, reject the mails sent from my computer, because they figure out I am using a dinamic IP).

In my mail server I can receive e-mails as it is supposed, and I could configure it to send e-mails using my account in gmail (port 25, smtp.gmail.com, and authentication, with my gmail username and password).

When I try configure it in zen cart, I have no luck and always receive the same error message, where XXX###################### is the account I am trying to use as my mail server:

Email Error: The following From address failed: XXX######################

Using win 2k3 server with iis, I tried to configure using smtp and smtpauth, with smtp.gmail.com ports 25, 465 and 567, with my account and pass correct, always receiving errors.

Any hint? Thank you in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: E-mail settings

In my experience for a situation your describing I would use smtpauth as your E-mail transport method and then set your username and password accordingly. For my internal domains we have Exchange setup to require a valid account username and password to authenticate. With a hosted email domain we have it requires a valid full e-mail address as the username and password to authenticate.

These stores are hosted on a windows 2k3 server.

I have never tried this with any of the free services however.

If I'm unsure about how a mail service is setup and want to actually see what is going on I will usually try to send a telnet email. If there are any unusual responses from the server you can see them printed real time.

Here's one I just googled for:
    http://www.webpan.com/customers/emai...elnet_test.htm

Plugin Contributions

I have checked all that, and it works. The point is that to known e-mails like gmail/hotmail/yahoo, they do not accept because it is from a dinamic IP. I want to avoid pay to have a fixed name/IP...

Also, using gmail logic configurations in Zen Cart I am having no luck, always showing that same error message.

Thanks for the inputs, though

Plugin Contributions

Ok. Well I just setup my development Linux server (at home through my cable modem) through Gmail and here are the settings:

Email transport method: PHP, sendmail, or sendmail -f
    from address: youraddress######################
    username: youaddress######################
    password: <gmail password>
    port: 25 or 465 both work

In my tests SMTP and SMTPAUTH did *not* work for Gmail, only those listed above.

You could actually setup an MX record pointing to your server, even though it's IP address is dynamic, but you would have to account for the fact that it changes. Dyndns (www.dyndns.com) has services to accomplish exactly that. Using their services you could then buy a domain for a whopping $8 and have DynDNS point the A records and MX records to your server, then your server reports to DynDNS with it's new IP when it changes. Works great. DynDNS also charges a fee for this, but it is very reasonable.

Goodluck.

Plugin Contributions

Sendmail does not work probably because I am using a Windows server, but today I tried PHP and started to work, don't know why... well, it says the e-mail was sent, but it never arrives to the destination. I sent like 10 e-mails to multiple accounts I have several hours ago, and none reached the destination.

With SMTP it sill gives the same error...

Thank you for that tip too

Plugin Contributions

Found a way to round my problem. I tested other free webmails and configured my zen cart for each of them, until I found out one that work as supposed.

Used the logic configurations with smtpauth, etc, etc, and with that e-mail, no error was shown and mails were delivered.

Thank you for the tips

Plugin Contributions

Hi! I am starting to use zencart too. I instaled it in my computer using XAMPP and I have the admin area and the store ok. But when I register a client I have and error related with the Email transport. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Please post the error your seeing and what settings you currently have in the configurations->email options in the admin.

Plugin Contributions

Hi have this error:
    Email Error: Could not instantiate mail function. Please check Admin->Configuration->Email Options->Email Transport.
    In the E-Mail options I have PHP Transport Method. The options are as default because I dont understand it very well.

Can you tell me how to fix this?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Problem solved. I activated de Mercury in the XAMPP and changed the Email transport method to "sendmail" and it worked.

Greetings