Plugin Contributions

Default Problem getting apache started on xampp

When I click on the apache box in the xampp control box I receive the following
    apache started

However, the green box which says "running" does not appear.

I am using xampp 1.4.16. I have downloaded xampp several times with the same results.

I am not sure what the "busy" message means. If I turn off the filezilla service and turn it back on again is see this "busy" message but filzilla is running.

I have searched my entire hard drive to make sure that there are no other apache folders. I have also disabled my firewall. I have also checked the port setting and they are all free

Another strange thing that is happening is when I click on the "settings" box to bring up the service setting box there is a box which says
    C:\xampp1\service.exe apache mysql ftp mercury
    The folder "xampp1" is in the recycle bin but I cannot get rid of this line.

Each time I click on all the service boxes (apache, filezilla, etc) and click the ok box and go back to the service settings nothing changes in the service settings box.

I have already sucessfully ran xampp on this computer before.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem getting apache started

The apache errorlog in your xampp folders should tell you more about what's happening

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem getting apache started

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The apache errorlog in your xampp folders should tell you more about what's happening
    I don't seem to have an errorlog in the xampp fold.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem getting apache started on xampp

Your apache error log is <xampp-dir>/apache/logs/error.log.

If you don't mind, can you disable all XAMPP services and then run the XAMPP port checking utility again to see whether another program (other than Apache) is hogging on to port 80.

The utility is available via Windows Start menu > apachefriends > xampp > port checking.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for all your help.I got around the problem by bringing back an old Xampp file which worke before and now Apache runs fine. Not sure what I did but I am happy.

Plugin Contributions

Here is what I think happened.

I created a store in a a file c:/dev/xampp/store. Then I put this store on Holstmoster.
    I then started to create another store. So, I started from scratch. The ebook salys to make sure there are no copies of Apache, mysql, etc. on your computer.

I then put the c/dev folder in the recycle bin.and removed all instances of apache from my hard drive.

I downloaded a new copy of xampp into a a folder called c:/poscheap. This was my mistake. I should have kept the c:?folder.

At this point I could not get appache running.

I looked in the error log and saw this line
    Thu Dec 13 16:47:28 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: C:/dev/xampp/htdocs/store

The system was looking for a file in the recycle bin even though I was atttemping to install a new xampp.

When I brought back the c:/dev folder the problem disappeared. Could there have been something in the registry that did not get eliminated?

I now have both stores in the c:/dev folder; one running on ZC 1.3.7 and the other running on ZC 1.3.8a

Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you want to have 2 stores or 2000 stores running on your xampp, you just have to create new folders under the htdocs folder for each store, along with a new database for each.

It's the same concept as having multiple websites on one hosting account.

You don't need to install multiple copies of xampp on your computer to do that.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I got it... I got it.

It is all starting to sink in.
    Thanks for pointing me to the apache error log.

Plugin Contributions

To totally clarify this for me my situation is as follows.
    I have 2 PCs for development.
    On both I have a different ZC site under development, each with their own folder called 'store' in their respective htdocs folders.
    What would be involved in modifying my setups so that development on both sites could proceed/continue on just one of the PCs?
    I am sure that the answer to this query will be both practical and usefull to me, and also illustrative of the factors involved.