Plugin Contributions

Default integrating Zen Cart into existing web site

Hi, all -

I just discovered Zen Cart today -- it looks like it's more than enough for my very meager cart needs.

I've read the various documentation that talks about making specific changes to my cart page(s). I think I can stumble through that with relative effectiveness, but...before I wade in up to my hips, I want to ask a more general question.

As a first stab to integrating Zen into my existing web site, I used a PHP include to reference the index.php file in the main directory. Here's the result:

http://www.scopedin.com/wordpress/?p...7&preview=true

Needless to say, it needs a bit of work. Before I start going in and making changes in the code, though, it occurs to me that there's probably a smarter way to do this, a way that will survive upgrades to Zen Cart. Is there some directory in which to place custom/overriding stuff?

Once I get the presentation aspect of this whipped, I expect it will be quite simple to go in and start making the specific changes.

I hope this question was clear...thanks for any help.

mz

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: integrating Zen Cart into existing web site

So what you want to do is show the cart within the wordpress page? If this is so its never gonna work. Your better of running them side by side. There is a mod that will let show wordpress posts in the cart and there is another mod that will let you use zencart sideboxes outsied of the cart, but to mix them the way I think you are looking to will be all sorts of problems with sessions that you will not be able to resolve. the following site is an implementation of word press and Zen Cart running side by side and styled to match each other. It is fairly seemless, you can tell when you on ZC pages by the url. http://www.eyeitalia.com/
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

OK...I'm willing to give up on the idea of running ZC from within WordPress, if I can make the ZC pages look somewhat like the rest of the site.

The example you gave is a beautiful implementation. So, if I were to want to try to do something similar...where do I start? What docs should I be reading?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

OK, guys - here's the problem I have:

I've looked through the faqs and the stickies. Lots of good information, but...it's all very specific (how to do this particular thing). Is there any info that discusses this at more of a conceptual level? I'm willing to wade in and start making changes, but...I'd like to know that I'm at least pointed in the right direction before I start hacking through the jungle.

Also: I could not find a tutorial in the section labeled "tutorials/faq" -- did I miss it, or is it still in the making?

Thanks for any guidance.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post
    OK, guys - here's the problem I have:

I've looked through the faqs and the stickies. Lots of good information, but...it's all very specific (how to do this particular thing). Is there any info that discusses this at more of a conceptual level? I'm willing to wade in and start making changes, but...I'd like to know that I'm at least pointed in the right direction before I start hacking through the jungle.

Also: I could not find a tutorial in the section labeled "tutorials/faq" -- did I miss it, or is it still in the making?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Anyone have an answer to this guy's question? I want to know the exact same thing.

Plugin Contributions

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "the exact same thing". Change colors, background color/image and font sizes in the stylesheet (includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css). Text/verbiage/literals can be changed in various files, depending on what you want to change. The Tutorials/FAQ contain lots of info on those specifics.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers
    There is not one, all encompassing tutorial - which is what I believe you are asking about..
    As this is php, it is all about "pieces"
    Header
    left
    center
    right
    footer

Are the main areas - Yours is mostly your header image and an added menu bar for ZenCart to resemble it....fairly easy
    For starters:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=124
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=45
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=232
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten