Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Collecting Customer's IP address during checkout - why is everyone 172.16.10.1 ?

The orders class, which feeds the payment modules (if they're smart enough to use the supplied data), should already be using the zen_get_ip_address() function.

Perhaps your addon payment module is not written as smartly, and is using REMOTE_ADDR instead of zen_get_ip_address() ? In which case, you'd only need to change that file.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Collecting Customer's IP address during checkout - why is everyone 172.16.10.1 ?

I made the changes in functions and nothing changed (still bad incoming IPs) but I also changed it in customer tracking mod and broke the site..arggg . I'm going to create a test site with a clean set of files in a subdirectory and play with this there. I can't keep breaking the live site.. really bad protocol.

Thanks for your help.

Ruth

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    The orders class, which feeds the payment modules (if they're smart enough to use the supplied data), should already be using the zen_get_ip_address() function.

Perhaps your addon payment module is not written as smartly, and is using REMOTE_ADDR instead of zen_get_ip_address() ? In which case, you'd only need to change that file.
    If I understand this post correctly - if I check the USAePay module and make the change there we should get the corrected IP? That said, in the admin - orders - even on a check/money order the IP is incorrect. Its an IP that is being thrown by my customer's server not the originating purchasers IP....

I'll start doing a search to find all occasions of this code and see where we are..

Thanks again.

Ruth

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Three basic places should cover most of your issues, in addition to the functions_general change you made and any required changes to your epay module:

In /includes/application_top.php, near the end of the file, change this line:
    Code:
    $customers_ip_address = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    to this:
    Code:
    $customers_ip_address = zen_get_ip_address();
    For whos_online, change includes/functions/whos_online.php:
    Code:
      $wo_ip_address = (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : 'Unknown');
    to:
    Code:
      $wo_ip_address = zen_get_ip_address();
    For the footer, change your template file tpl_footer.php:
    Code:
    <div id="siteinfoIP"><?php echo TEXT_YOUR_IP_ADDRESS . '  ' . $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; ?></div>
    to:
    Code:
    <div id="siteinfoIP"><?php echo TEXT_YOUR_IP_ADDRESS . '  ' . zen_get_ip_address(); ?></div>
    And strongly evaluate why you moved to this particular host

Fortunately, the upcoming 1.4.0 version of Zen Cart has more central control over this.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Got a similar issue! The IP address on the customer invoice is incorrect and showing the wrong internal private IP.

I already edited the zen_get_ip_address() function and now it is giving the proper IP address (I tested this by calling the get_ip_address() function and showing that in the footer and it does indeed show the correct IP address for that user).

So then that should have fixed the problem, but it didn't! Still wrong IP address showing up on the invoice. What does that mean... I think it isn't calling that function in whatever file writes the IP on the invoice and it is hardcoded to $_SERVER['remote_addr'].

Dr Byte, you mentioned "the orders class, which feeds the payment modules should already be using the zen_get_ip_address() function"... do you know this for a fact? What file can I look at to see this?

Basically my question is: What file writes the IP address on the customer's order? If I knew that I could have it reference the get_ip_address() function and since that provides the correct IP all will work properly.

Apprecaite your help guys!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you've updated application_top as I posted previously, it should be fine.

This line in /includes/classes/order.php is what stores the IP address information. It is two addresses: the first one is the customer ip address as set in application_top, and the second is the IP address detected at the time of order completion. You could change the second one if you desire by using the zen_get_ip_address function there too ... but that does defeat the purpose of the two separate addresses (the second one is technically intended to find out whether the payment was completed via a 3rd-party site such as PayPal etc)
    Code:
                                'ip_address' => $_SESSION['customers_ip_address'] . ' - ' . $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, you're the man! I missed that file to edit, and just to reitterate it was the /includes/application_top.php file that needed editing and once you do that it will all work gravy!!!

Plugin Contributions

Hi everyone

I am a newbie to Zen cart.. and so far it is working great (moved from another "caffeine fueled" shop )

The major issue I have is the same as these posts, namely that every single visitors ip addy is displayed as 10.216.1.63 in every area that displays the ip address !

I have tried the suggestions that everyone has been good enough to post here but to no avail.

I am using the latest build 1.39h

Thanks in advance !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12