Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template Monster Zencart Template Installation Problem

I was able to successfully install a template that I purchased through them a few weeks ago- but beware- I wanted to change the main image on the top of the page- and they would not help me wth it, and suggested that I spend another $300 AT LEAST to customize another template- all I wanted to do was change one image- I immediately scrapped that project and downloaded several of the free template that are available, and I am MUCH happier with them, they are much easier to customize

Plugin Contributions

To change the image all you have to do is right click on the image and find out what it's called and where it lives, create a new image at the exact same dimensions and then overwrite the existing image.

BUT consider your experience yet another failure of tm to produce the goods.

Plugin Contributions

It really is a shame that those hacks at Template Mobster keep pushing their snake oil on unsuspecting new zenners. I too once fell prey to their "oh-so-pretty", dangly, shiney jewels that they promise, nay, SWEAR will fit around ZenCart like a Custom Greased Glove!

It's EXTORTION, Pure and Simple!

There isn't one single solitary template that they either give away or sell that works 100% error free with Zencart, and Customer service from them is nothing more than a cruel JOKE!

Having said all of that, and knowing full well that there are literally hundreds of ANGRY threads on the subject here in this, our Sacred Land of Zen, Why doesn't someone create a warning sticky about those sorry SOB's! Something that contains lots and lots of keywords so that no matter what a new, or old zenner might use as a search word, or term, that sticky would most likely pop up and say, STAY THE AWAY FROM TEMPLATE MONSTER and ALL OF THEIR AFFILIATES!

Just my two bits worth.
    I Think, Therefore I Zen. I Zen, Therefore, I AM!
    Personalized Flowers!
    Flowertown Speaking Roses
    using version 1.5.7-06232020

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the support! I am glad to see that I am not the only one who had an issue with them after spending $160 for a stupid template, that seems like it would be simple to change! I appreciate your help with the trying to change the image information, that was my first thought- so I at least knew enough to try to find the image and relace it with the one I had created- unfortunately though, in this template I could not find where in the template pointed to the image- and I also wanted to replace it with the PHP slideshow download that another zencart user had submitted, so I actually needed to be able to put that coding into the template-

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wtashby View Post
    ...Why doesn't someone create a warning sticky about those sorry SOB's! Something that contains lots and lots of keywords so that no matter what a new, or old zenner might use as a search word, or term, that sticky would most likely pop up and say, STAY THE AWAY FROM TEMPLATE MONSTER and ALL OF THEIR AFFILIATES!

Just my two bits worth.
    In a Free Market, this is a bit extreme. The principle of Caveat Emptor must apply. Despite their many faults, TM templates are sometimes made to work by people who know how to write code.

It does surprise me, however, that the extent of the bad press TM receives on this forum (and probably others), does not prompt their management team to tidy up their act a bit!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fairestcape View Post
    It does surprise me, however, that the extent of the bad press TM receives on this forum (and probably others), does not prompt their management team to tidy up their act a bit!

The power that comes with being a monopoly ensures they don't have to. Near as I can tell, all the sharp, image-based Zencart templates sold are TM, in one sense or another.

Plugin Contributions

It would be very useful to document the ones that DO work well. THe templates on TM are much more professional and modern looking that most of the stock/standard templates that live here. One quickly gets tired of seeing the box-box-box format.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MotoDelta View Post
    It would be very useful to document the ones that DO work well. THe templates on TM are much more professional and modern looking that most of the stock/standard templates that live here. One quickly gets tired of seeing the box-box-box format.
    It's not that difficult to "tweak" the ZC Classic template to get a sassy, professional design - even within the relative constraints of the "header-columns-footer" layout.

To me, faultless FUNCTIONALITY is more important, and the standard template structure virtually assures this.

Plugin Contributions

Point well taken. However doing that takes a fair amount of time. If you have 1 or 2 websites it's simple enough, but what if you're maintaining 20, or 100? Very nice to be able to just purchase one.

I suppose I should just look into hiring someone to create the snazzy ones for me. :)

Plugin Contributions

On the flipside, here's some good news.

I bought a template monster template for our store and after some of the initial messing around with it, I got it to look the way it's supposed to.

Some of the little changes I had to make:

- The header didn't format correctly
    - It took some work to get the top banner back
    - The All Categories/New Categories part doesn't format right

I have an evil minion who understands CSS and computer-type stuff better than I do, so that helps.

I wanted to throw this out there so people knew what they were getting into with a TM template - it is doable but it takes some knowledge and time - probably 5 hours or so to make it look professional.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast