Plugin Contributions

Default Authorize.net-Authorize, Capture later

We are planning to use Authorize.net as our payment system and have looked at simply charging cards as soon as an item is ordered.
    Since some items may be pre-orders or not shipped for a couple days we figured it was fair to authorize the card and then capture the number at shipping time, just before we ship. We also hope since often there is at least some minimal time frame before we ship it may even cut out a few fraudulent cards. I know how if a card is stolen and sold sometimes people act fast on charges and it has been cancelled within hours. We have a couple questions about this first though:
    1. Are there additional fees for this transaction from the merchant? I know approximately what rates are but if it involves an authorization, then capture at a later date is there any additional fees or is it even charged twice? I hope not but want to check on this.
    2. How is this set up? Can we set up to somehow charge when we ship or do we simply have to go into the order at order time, select to capture, then go to the screen to ship?

Thank you for your help with these questions.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Authorize.net-Authorize, Capture later

1. There are no additional fees to authorize first and capture later.
    If you authorize first and then capture later, that's no different than doing both up front at one time ... the fees are the same.

2. In Zen Cart, you would simply set your payment module into Authorize Only mode. Then the card will be authorized while the customer is at the site.
    When you go to ship the order, you'll capture the funds and mark the order shipped.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

No disrepect at all to the person that answered the question about fees but rather just a 'sharing of MY personal experience'...

The fees may depend on the specific account you have with authorize.net because I was told by the authorize.net rep that I am charged ANYTIME that ANYTHING is done with the card. In other words, I am charged a transaction fee at authorization; a trans fee at capture; a trans fee at declined; a trans fee at void, etc.

I highly suggest that you contact auth.net and check with them for the fees on your specific account.

Just my experience...

Have a beautiful weekend!
    www.ZenCrystals.com
    www.CraftMagick.com
    Magickal & Metaphysical supplies/services

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That is correct.
    An authorization incurs a charge.
    A capture incurs a charge.
    Doing both at the same time incurs both charges.
    Thus there is no net difference in the approach taken.

Granted, contacting your account rep will let you discuss all the variations of how charges are incurred. It's the same with pretty much any processor you use. Everything costs something.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't realize that I was being charged TWICE if I auth and cap at the same time! Very enlightening...

Have a great week!
    www.ZenCrystals.com
    www.CraftMagick.com
    Magickal & Metaphysical supplies/services