Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Download issue: Firefox can't find the server at pub

Hi everyone,

i am new here. I am sorry to have to have to post it here as for these past 2 weeks, i have been browsing and reading the forum, re-read the tutorial and re-read the zen-cart official guide but could not solve my problem.

i am facing an issue here with the download. When everytime i try to test to download my product, i am getting message from my browser saying that:

Address Not Found
    Firefox can't find the server at pub.

when i use IE, i will get page not found 404

For your information, all my files in download manager is green (means valid). Hope to get advice from someone.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Download issue: Firefox can't find the server at pub

Whether downloads can be enabled by redirect is server specific, and can even be specific to different site security settings on the same server.

With "Dowbload by redirect" working the file from the downloads folder is passed as a temporary file to the "Pub" folder and served up from there.

With "Download by redirect" not working it is served directly from the downloads folder.

Go to Zen Cart admin --> Configuration --> Attribute Settings and set "Download by redirect" to false and see if this works. If it does then you will have to put .htaccess protection on the downloads folder to prevent unauthorised people from downloading directly from that folder without paying.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

It could also be that the reason you are getting the error is because the "pub" folder does not have sufficient permissions for the website to be able to access it.

Ideally permissions should be no higher than 755, but some servers do require permissions of 777 (full permissions) on some folders.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Vger,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try to do that first to see it thing works out as expected. I'll come back again to tell everybody if problem is gone or still there.

Thanks a lot again.

Jeremy

Plugin Contributions

Do you happen to have ipowerweb as your webhost? Just a question...

If the answer is yes then none of the above is the solution...

Plugin Contributions

When making a post like that it's only helpful if you post your solution!

Vger
    Quote Originally Posted by ann0314 View Post
    Do you happen to have ipowerweb as your webhost? Just a question...

If the answer is yes then none of the above is the solution...

Plugin Contributions

I would have posted the solution but sadly I wasnt told exactly what it was. IpowerWeb is fixing the issue as its a migration issue and so I was told its their problem to fix for me and didnt say how they were going to other then to say that the problem is that for some reason their new servers dont like or cant read the temp download files created in the PUB folder. Some script in zen generates the folder with a name that begins with a period like .sdlfksdkfjsl and the new servers cant read the file because of the period. I tried searching through to find what file is used to generate that folder so I could try to modify it myself but I cant find what file controls it hense why I didnt post the solution but rather asked the question.

If you are with ipower I suggest stating all this and explaining its a known issue and having them fix it unless someone here knows how ...which I personally would love to know.

:)

Plugin Contributions

Hi all,

Ann0314, I actually don't know what is happening. I am still working and checking what is wrong with it. I have followed the instruction and everything to the dot. About your question on IPower, NO, i am not using IPower. I am with Bluehost. I have another site (not a shopping cart site) with them which is okay.

Anyway, since you mention it, I am also contacting my hosting company for help, if they can fix it then it would be great.

Anyway, just in case if somebody here had faced this kind of problem and fixed it, please post and share it here. Your kindness is most appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

Plugin Contributions

Vger and others,

Sorry for raising this as I am still a beginner webmaster (though i have another site which is a simple and less complicated site).

FYI, I have tried switching on and off the redirect, direct and streaming and change the permission for the pub to even 777 but still could not make the download.

Just to add more information so that hopefully somebody could help me here, I setup the product payment module, attribute, description, uploading the download files etc just like the tutorial and guide. Then try to do a trial purchase and successfully went through all the purchase process but when checkout, the browser end up with url something like this..for example.

http://pub/litoen...../....

which is incomplete, the domain name is missing. Just for fun, i try to type my domain name manually before the pub..whoops...then download is on the way.

If need more information just let me know.

Jeremy

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

What additional information does your apache errorlog tell you about the cause of that error?
    Perhaps your server configuration has a clash with the .htaccess settings you have in your /pub folder?
    Or is there a mod_security rule causing a block somewhere? (unlikely, but throwing it in as a suggestion)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast