Plugin Contributions

Default smtp error all of a sudden (GoDaddy)

Hi,

my zen cart email has been working fine up until today. I have never had any issues with it. today i started getting a smtp error sayign that it could not connect to a host.

heres the strange part I have 2 zen carts on completely different hosts and I am getting the same error on both using 2 different gmail accounts. so this would nto make sense for it to be a hosting issue please help me with this issue.

thank you

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: smtp error all of a sudden

If the error is that it cannot connect TO a host, then THAT host that it's trying to connect TO is the one with the problem. Since you said you've configured both stores to use gmail, then logic would say that gmail is the problem.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

thank you for the response. I just tried using my outlook email as well and i am receiving the same error. is there a way to debug this thoroughly?

Plugin Contributions

found your post on another forum added the file do extra_datafiles I got this error:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server smtp.gmail.com 587: Connection refused (111)

Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

i got this for both gmail and outlook accounts

Plugin Contributions

just set it back to smtpauth from smtp and got the same error plus a little extra

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server ssl://smtp.gmail.com 587: Connection refused (111)

Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by warroyo90 View Post
    thank you for the response. I just tried using my outlook email as well and i am receiving the same error. is there a way to debug this thoroughly?
    Clearly your gmail server isn't letting you connect.
    Contact the gmail tech support people for help with your problem, since it's all on their end.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

yes i understand it says that but it is saying it for all email address that I try to use whether it be outlook, gmail, or yahoo. on two different hosting providers. would that suggest a zen cart issue?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart is only REPORTING the problem to you. It is using the same settings it always had before when it was working just fine, right? So, logical deduction suggests that the problem is with something BETWEEN Zen Cart and the email service you're connecting to.

"Cannot connect to host" means that Zen Cart is using the information YOU supplied to it to try to login to the mail server and send mail. But the mailserver is either not responding, or the webserver has lost its ability to find the destination mailserver (nameserver lookup problem) and thus Zen Cart cannot connect because the server that Zen Cart is sitting on doesn't know what to do.

I can't see how or why this "sudden" problem would be a Zen Cart problem. You said yourself that the problem "suddenly" started after it was working fine. So, something outside of Zen Cart is what changed. You'll need to sort out what that is and have whoever is in control of that fix whatever they've broken.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You mentioned in another thread that you recently moved your site TO GoDaddy hosting.

I hope you've paid attention to the fact that there are thousands of discussion threads here pointing to the fact that GoDaddy's servers very frequently have problems with routing email properly, and very often run into serious performance slowdowns, rendering online stores inoperable.
    Your recent switch to their servers could VERY likely be the exact source of your present problems.

The experience of thousands of folks before you is why we never encourage anybody to move TO the hosting services offered by GoDaddy. In fact, moving the site to another more conventional and better-tuned host always yields instant improvements in speed and fixes functionality that's broken while on the GD servers.

I hope you didn't lock yourself into a long-term contract.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: smtp error all of a sudden (GoDaddy)

Sorry, off topic here, but I always cringe when a new client comes to me and tells me they have hosting set up with GoDaddy. Even with an HTML site they are a nightmare to deal with. If it's a dynamic site I turn the client away unless they change hosts.