Plugin Contributions

Default Paypal Timeout Error 28

More of a heads up at this point.

A number of my customer sites were moved from one data center to another and Paypal transactions began to fail consistently. The debug logs show:

---

Response:
    Array
    (
    [] =>
    [CURL_ERRORS] => (28) connect() timed out!
    )

(28) connect() timed out!
    Array
    (
    [url] => https://api-3t.paypal.com/nvp
    [content_type] =>
    [http_code] => 0
    [header_size] => 0
    [request_size] => 0
    [filetime] => -1
    [ssl_verify_result] => 0
    [redirect_count] => 0
    [total_time] => 60.050791
    [namelookup_time] => 0.025675
    [connect_time] => 0
    [pretransfer_time] => 0
    [size_upload] => 0
    [size_download] => 0
    [speed_download] => 0
    [speed_upload] => 0
    [download_content_length] => -1
    [upload_content_length] => -1
    [starttransfer_time] => 0
    [redirect_time] => 0
    )

---

A Google search shows there may be an problem using certain combinations of OpenSSL and Curl versions. Some people began noticing this in mid 2012 and I think the general consensus was that downgrading OpenSSL below 1.0.0 solved it.

I gave my hosting company all the info I could find and they are still investigating.
    Aloha from Hawaii! (its a dirty job, but SOMEBODY has to live here...)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: (7) could not connect to host, but CURL is okay

I am currently fighting a 28 error and one response on another forum suggests the problem is as follows:

---

In case anyone else is having the same issue. This took many many unix admins to figure out. The problem was caused by recent pci compliance upgrade of openssl. PHP implementation of curl is not compatible with openssl 1.x and downgrading to openssl to 0.9.8 with all the current patches should still keep it compliant and fixed the problem. Basically curl was working fine connecting to https://www.paypal.com from command line which really made me look at the paypal standard which wasn't the problem. test php script for perl was just timing out for the ssl version of paypal site but worked for all non ssl sites. Also would automatically switch over to the non ssl version of sites so others looked like they worked when using https. Being that paypal didn't have a non ssl version this was like the only site not working which confused even more.

I hope this helps anyone in the future with similar problems.

---

In my case, the effected websites were all moved to a new data center and the problem started appearing. I know version numbers are different, but understand it could be other issues too since the site is newly being used by these carts.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Timeout Error 28

Have you scrolled down and looked at the similar threads?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: (7) could not connect to host, but CURL is okay

Quote Originally Posted by mshultise View Post
    I am currently fighting a 28 error and one response on another forum suggests the problem is as follows:

---

In case anyone else is having the same issue. This took many many unix admins to figure out. The problem was caused by recent pci compliance upgrade of openssl. PHP implementation of curl is not compatible with openssl 1.x and downgrading to openssl to 0.9.8 with all the current patches should still keep it compliant and fixed the problem. Basically curl was working fine connecting to https://www.paypal.com from command line which really made me look at the paypal standard which wasn't the problem. test php script for perl was just timing out for the ssl version of paypal site but worked for all non ssl sites. Also would automatically switch over to the non ssl version of sites so others looked like they worked when using https. Being that paypal didn't have a non ssl version this was like the only site not working which confused even more.

I hope this helps anyone in the future with similar problems.
    ---

In my case, the effected websites were all moved to a new data center and the problem started appearing. I know version numbers are different, but understand it could be other issues too since the site is newly being used by these carts.
    I'm a wee bit surprised that people are still having this problem. It was 1st reported almost a year ago (shortly after openssl 1.0.0 was released). The current latest version OpenSSL V1.0.1.14 appear to be working perfectly.

Cheers
    Rod.

PS. Thanks for the info/report though. I'd completely forgotten about this bug (it was rather short lived, and had several workarounds that got most people out of trouble)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal Timeout Error 28

Yes I have read similar threads here and on other forums. The information above was reported as a fix elsewhere and not mentioned here. Some of the reports here did not mention error 28 but rather a different issue.

Rather than me steal an existing thread with something that may not be been related, I started a new thread.

It turns out the software was not the cure for me though. Sigh!
    ---

Hello,

Our administrators reported that there was an issue with the connectivity to the PayPal site from the hosting node that your account was hosted on, so they have transfered it to another one. They reported that you will need to re-install the SSL certificate for your domain name, as they were not able to do it for you, since the certificate was not ordered with us.