Forums / General Questions / GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

Views: 4,023

Results 1 to 6 of 6
2 Apr 2013, 9:15 PM
#1
sunflowertami avatar

sunflowertami

Zen Follower

Join Date:
Jun 2008
Posts:
267
Plugin Contributions:
0

GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

Hi, I was checking to see if anybody else on GoDaddy server Linux is having an issue with their email transport on their zencart.

Today it just stopped functioning. When attempting to send an email to the customer, I get this error:

Email Error: Could not instantiate mail function. Please check Admin->Configuration->Email Options->Email Transport.

The Email transport is currently on PHP ever since. I have not changed anything.

Would appreciate any help! Thanks

2 Apr 2013, 9:44 PM
#2
drbyte avatar

drbyte

Sensei

Join Date:
Jan 2004
Posts:
63,513
Plugin Contributions:
176

Re: GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

It's been a long time since I used a GoDaddy server, but I know they've been improving their services drastically since the new management took over last summer.
**
That said, the best thing to do about ANY "sudden" problem that starts happening on your server is to log a support ticket with your hosting company's support department IMMEDIATELY. **

And if the issue really needs some detailed email troubleshooting, you can use the Email Testing tool in the Troubleshooting Tools section of the Plugins area: http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1644-email-test-tool

.
Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

2 Apr 2013, 9:48 PM
#3
sunflowertami avatar

sunflowertami

Zen Follower

Join Date:
Jun 2008
Posts:
267
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

Thank you for your reply! Due the problems GoDaddy was having earlier on, I opened up my new site on BlueHost intending to move my other site from GoDaddy to there when I had the time. However since last year, GoDaddy has not been having any problems at all. Even their downtime was significantly improved. So I decided to keep it as it is with one site on Godaddy and one on BlueHost. This is the first time in several years that GoDaddy started having problems.

I will log a support ticket right away and will check the email tool too. Thank so much!

DrByte:

It's been a long time since I used a GoDaddy server, but I know they've been improving their services drastically since the new management took over last summer.
**
That said, the best thing to do about ANY "sudden" problem that starts happening on your server is to log a support ticket with your hosting company's support department IMMEDIATELY. **

And if the issue really needs some detailed email troubleshooting, you can use the Email Testing tool in the Troubleshooting Tools section of the Plugins area: http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1644-email-test-tool

2 Apr 2013, 10:07 PM
#4
sunflowertami avatar

sunflowertami

Zen Follower

Join Date:
Jun 2008
Posts:
267
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

Ok so I used the email test tool and this shows up:

EMAIL METHOD: php
EMAIL_LINEFEED: LF
DEBUG MODE: 2

Results:

PHPMailer Object
(
[Priority] => 3
[CharSet] => iso-8859-1
[ContentType] => text/plain
[Encoding] => 7bit
[ErrorInfo] =>
[From] => mytestemail######################
[FromName] => Email Tester
[Sender] => mytestemail######################
[Subject] => Email test
[Body] => This is just a test message. Please delete.

[AltBody] => 
[WordWrap] => 76
[Mailer] => sendmail
**[Sendmail] => /usr/sbin/sendmail**
[PluginDir] => 
[Version] => 1.73
[ConfirmReadingTo] => 
[Hostname] => 
[Host] => localhost
[Port] => 25
[Protocol] => 
[Helo] => 
[SMTPAuth] => 
[Username] => 
[Password] => 
[Timeout] => 10
[SMTPDebug] => 2
[SMTPKeepAlive] => 
[smtp] => 
[to] => Array
    (
        [0] => Array
            (
                [0] => mytestemail######################
                [1] => Test Address
            )

I see "sendemail" as method there and I have my GoDaddy set to PHP. So I went back and set it sendmail and now if I make a test order, it does not hang and give me an error about mail transport BUT I don't get any email either.

I sent a support ticket to GoDaddy. But if you have anything else I can try please do advise. Thanks!

2 Apr 2013, 11:15 PM
#5
drbyte avatar

drbyte

Sensei

Join Date:
Jan 2004
Posts:
63,513
Plugin Contributions:
176

Re: GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

Do it using SMTPAUTH or SMTP and provide the mailbox+server SMTP credentials, and see what results you get.

.
Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

3 Apr 2013, 9:05 AM
#6
sunflowertami avatar

sunflowertami

Zen Follower

Join Date:
Jun 2008
Posts:
267
Plugin Contributions:
0

Re: GoDaddy Server Email Function Stopped Working

Thanks for your help Dr. Byte. Last night I set it at "sendmail" while waiting for customer support to get back to me. I woke this morning with a note from support acknowledging that there is a problem with their PHP mail and that they are working to get this fixed. I think the email tool helped them identify what the problem is immediately. So thanks for that!

Also the mail started to work again shortly after. I didn't even have to change it to PHP. It was still at "sendmail" so I will keep it at that for now.

Thanks again for all your help!!!