Forums / Upgrading to 1.5.x / ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.51 vs ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.6 ??

ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.51 vs ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.6 ??

Views: 1,778

Results 1 to 4 of 4
22 Oct 2013, 1:19 AM
#1
woodymon avatar

woodymon

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Sep 2004
Posts:
2,309
Plugin Contributions:
1

ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.51 vs ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.6 ??

I understand it will be released when it is released. But any idea as to the progress of ZC 1.6x ?

I ask as I 'support' a heavily modded shop which has been running ZC 1.37 since it's release. For technical reasons the shop has not been upgraded. But now the shop is running on a different web host server which supports ZC 1.5x.

So before I proceed to do the heavy lifting of moving the 1.37 shop to 1.51, I'm wondering if 1.6 might be coming along soon and I should wait? Since the 1.37 shop is heavily modded it will be painstaking to upgrade to 1.51, and then upgrade again to 1.6 soon after.

Since Google Checkout is ending support for Google Checkout payment module in third party ecommerce applications in November, hoping to time the upgrade to just before that support expires, and move to newer Paypal Payments. On a related note will need to inquire if Paypal Payments Advanced" is supported in ZC 1.51.

22 Oct 2013, 7:35 AM
#2
picandnix avatar

picandnix

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Dec 2010
Location:
UK
Posts:
1,780
Plugin Contributions:
2

Re: ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.51 vs ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.6 ??

I believe you will see 1.5.2 before 1.6
I would however go ahead with the upgrade (or personally I'd look at a complete rebuild, it may well be easier?). Either way taking smaller steps is easier than a leap (unless rebuilding). What custom changes do you have UN place?

22 Oct 2013, 10:13 AM
#3
woodymon avatar

woodymon

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Sep 2004
Posts:
2,309
Plugin Contributions:
1

Re: ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.51 vs ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.6 ??

ZC 1.51 was released in Sept 2012. So not sure why anyone is expecting another 1.5x point release. I have not observed any posts suggesting this.

I'm guided by the most recent road map update posting from wilt, where on 08-12-12 he stated "We intend to put 1.6.0 out soon."

With that I hope 1.6 would be coming out before the end of 2013.

The number of customizations to the ZC 1.37 shop I refer to are far too many to list here. Just trust me when I state the time required to upgrade from 1.37 to 1.51, installing and testing plug-ins, adjusting the template and integrating customizations, and then having to rinse and repeat to go from 1.51 to 1.6, would be time prohibitive.

Indeed with the wholesale improvements promised in the 1.6 default template, and new templates to be released to support 1.6, it is much more sensible to initiate a shop redesign on 1.6 rather than 1.5.

At any rate the out-of-date roadmap has me lost in the wilderness. So hoping someone anyone has an inside scoop on the likely timing of the next release.

22 Oct 2013, 12:39 PM
#4
picandnix avatar

picandnix

Totally Zenned

Join Date:
Dec 2010
Location:
UK
Posts:
1,780
Plugin Contributions:
2

Re: ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.51 vs ZC 1.37 >> ZC 1.6 ??

You could always start looking at the 1.6 package now (from the github), with the acceptance that there will be a few fixes and changes to add once there is a Release Candidate version available. It may be to your advantage regarding time? Just a thought.