DivaVocals:
You do realize that this is the ONLY open source forum that is even DEBATING this????
Yes, and for the simple reason that ZenCart is one of the few CMS's that doesn't generate 'Friendly URL's' out of the box, so people try to circumvent this with 3rd party modules. I can only repeat once again, I (and most others, I assume) aren't anti Friendly URL's, we are anti having to use a 3rd party products that have been shown time and time again will cause problems. Whether these problems result from the software itself (which I admit is quite rare), or whether it is caused by 'User Error' isn't, in my opinion important. The end result is still the same, people come to the forum on an almost daily basis because something isn't working as a result of poorly written rewrite rules.
As there is little to no benefit to be gained from these rewrites I will forever insist that they simply aren't worth using. If the Friendly URL's were natively generated it becomes a whole new ball game, as these 'future problems' will no longer be an issue (Well, not until some smartass comes along with another 3rd part module that claims to do a better job than the natively generated Friendly URL's.
DivaVocals:
Sorry.. this is really NOT a compelling argument to NOT install one of these modules.. ANY MODULE could blow up in the future with one errant line of code..
This is true, but as a general rule, the benefits to be gained from most of these other modules far outweigh the risks of using them.
Since the 3rd part URL rewriting offer little to no benefit then the risks aren't worth taking.
Risk Management 101.
DivaVocals:
Hell I could get into a car accident tomorrow.. not gonnna stop me from driving my car because it COULD happen..
Again, this makes perfect sense, because the benefits gained by driving generally outweigh the risks of having an accident.
What if we add a little alcohol to the mix? This is known to dramatically increase the risk of having an accident, to the extent where the benefit to risk ratio becomes unacceptable... So much so that after a certain limit it becomes illegal to drive.
How is this any different to the URL rewriting scenario? It is just adding to the risks when there is no compelling reason for it.
DivaVocals:
Except they do offer OTHER benefits, and so there are OTHER business reasons to install them..
Bad choice of words. When you say 'other benefits' this is assuming that there was already at least one benefit to start with, and since the discussion was revolving about SEO benefits, which we all seem to agree are negligible at best) we only need to consider what benefits they do give.
I know of three benefits.
- Where the URL is to be published in print media.
- Where a page has been moved from its original URL to a new URL.
- Security reasons (to redirect known exploits to a 'safe' page)
Can you give details of any other known benefits (I'm sure there must be, even though I can't think of any).
I still think it is absurd to take a perfectly good functional URL (that is natively created) and immediately redirect it somewhere else purely for cosmetic purposes.
DivaVocals:
SMH.. I am constantly amused by the fact that folks here don't seem to think that folks can and should be allowed to have a choice on this matter..
.
And I'm constantly amused at Developers that are afraid to tell their clients when they are making bad choices. If my customers want to do something that I know isn't good for them I will do everything I possible can to educate them of the error of their ways.
Yes, it IS the customers choice if they choose to drive a 4 cylinder car in a Formula One race (even if they do like the colour better) but I'm certainly not going to encourage them to do so. I'd rather explain why I think the car with the bigger engine is going to be better suited for their purpose.
The customer isn't always right.
DivaVocals:
The so-called "problems" always eluded to with regards to these modules ALWAYS come down to USE ERROR.. pure and simple..
That may well be true (I'm certainly not going to dispute this), but if they can avoid these problems by NOT using something that offers so little benefit then I'm all for advising people of this fact.
Again, it is a benefit/cost balance. Why incur a potential cost when there are no benefits to be gained? (or more precisely, the potential costs outweigh the benefits).
DivaVocals:
Right.. Except three things..
A. This isn't MY list.. I quoted it from Google..
That probably explains why I only found one 'fault' with what was written. ;-)
DivaVocals:
B. You've taken that list out of context.. Please re-read my post.. I preceeded that list with the following text: "Zen Cart's native meta tagging actually violates some of the rules that the search engines use to delist sites." What followed are things that you DON'T want to do..
You are also guilty of this. I was only discussing the page titles. The metatags were not part of the discussion (other than the mutual agreement that these aren't used by SE's for ranking purposes).
DivaVocals:
B. Please NOTE that the example they are speaking of refers to JUST the home page..
OK, I have to admit, that this important fact did escape my attention. However, I thought it was pretty obvious that my discussion revolved around the product related pages, and not the singular home page.
DivaVocals:
It doesn't say append this SAME text to EVERY PAGE TITLE.. In fact it says the OPPOSITE..
I'm sure that you are already aware of this, and since Google thought it worthy to mention the home page as a specific/special case, it is also worth noting that ZenCart has specific defines that are only used on the home page.
Specifically
HOME_PAGE_META_DESCRIPTION
HOME_PAGE_TITLE
and HOME_PAGE_META_KEYWORDS
DivaVocals:
So I don't need to test what's happening for your client.. I provided examples as to what is happening.. I kinda already have a good grasp of the native meta tagging feature.. It is lacking..
So you agree with my findings that having the product name as the leading part of the page titles in the product related pages make a significant improvement to the SEO rankings when people do a search for that particular product, and that the format of
"Product Name : ExampleSocialSite, a place for people to meet and mingle" is a far better option than
"ExampleSocialSite, a place for people to meet and mingle. : Product Name" ?
If so, then this particular 'argument' revolves around the fact that you were discussing the home page, and I was/am discussing the product/category pages.
If you don't agree with my findings, then I urge you as a friend to please at least try the changes I've mentioned, and if you don't get the same observable results I'll
- Be very surprised
- I'll need to take some closer observations to figure out why the changes I made had such a noticeable impact in rankings but didn't have the same impact with your tests.
Cheers
RodG
NOTE: We are sorry that Rod is no longer with us.
We are grateful for all his contributions to the Zen Cart community.
Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.