Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: weird problem: html_header is ignored...

Well, it's back to ignoring the html_header.php file. Tuesday night, changes made Monday showed up, and when I removed them, they went away. This morning (Wednesday) changes made do not show up on the site when reloaded.

I have also now created a new template, copied from the one where html_header.php is being ignored, and have made changes to that one, then switched templates, and the behavior persists. I can switch templates and the html_header.php is ignored. However, I can change other files in the template and those changes are reflected immediately...
    Keith Seyffarth
    Paydirt Design

Plugin Contributions

/includes/templates/new/common/html_header.php

If you are only deleting the file under the "new" path then ZenCart is using the default located at

/includes/templates/template_default/common/html_header.php
    Tuesday night, changes made Monday showed up, and when I removed them, they went away. This morning (Wednesday) changes made do not show up on the site when reloaded.
    Most likely due to your ISP not updating frequent enough as your changes do eventually display
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    /includes/templates/new/common/html_header.php

If you are only deleting the file under the "new" path then ZenCart is using the default located at

/includes/templates/template_default/common/html_header.php
    I understand that. However, that does not include code that is required by the page, and its absence would generate errors and alter the display of the page, neither of which will happen...

Most likely due to your ISP not updating frequent enough as your changes do eventually display
    Um... could you elaborate on this? The changes happen on the server immediately. I can make a change to html_header.php and save the file, then refresh the page in a web browser and not see any change. I can then update another file in the template, such as tpl_footer.php and save the file, then go back to the browser and refresh, and the change to tpl_footer.php is displayed, but the change to html_header is still not there. Then go in and undo the change to tpl_footer and save the file, then go back to the browser again and refresh and the change in tpl_footer is undone, but the change to html_header is still not there...

So what do you mean that the ISP (me) is not "updating frequent enough?"
    Keith Seyffarth
    Paydirt Design

Plugin Contributions

I can not assist as you refuse to spell out in detail what you are attempting to include - like code

Also, this is not allowed and frowned upon as the author is ZenCart
    Code:
    <meta name="author" content="Paydirt Design LLC" />
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I can not assist as you refuse to spell out in detail what you are attempting to include - like code
    Kobra,
    I sincerely apologize and am extremely sorry to have offended you. Since the code in particular was absolutely irrelevant to the issue - as the exact same problem persists regardless of whether the functional code or inert code or merely visible comments are added, I did not think that the exact lines of code being added could be even remotely construed as relevant. Again, I sincerely apologize and am very sorry to have offended you. I was not refusing to provide information, I believe I had answered any questions that were asked, i was merely trying to avoid adding a bunch of irrelevant, confusing, or wasteful unnecessary information.

Here is the first part of the code I would like to add to the site, should the site functionality enable the editing of the html_header.php file at some time, or if the reason that changes to the html_header.php file are ignored can be tracked down.
    Code:
    require_once $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/pdscripts/Mobile_Detect.php';
    $detect = new Mobile_Detect;
    Also, this is not allowed and frowned upon as the author is ZenCart
    Code:
    <meta name="author" content="Paydirt Design LLC" />
    I am again sorry. I was not aware of that. I have only been working with Zen-Cart for seven years, and have only been doing web development for twenty-two years, so as a beginner I made a simple mistake. I wish that this information was available somewhere for people so you could be aware of this (though I thought I had read that author could be changed, but not generator... - obviously my mistake), or that when sites were approved for inclusion in the Zen-Cart directory minor issues like this could be addressed and corrected. I hope you can forgive me for this issue. It would be really cool if I could edit html_header.php and remove this line of code and have that reflected on the live site. So, I guess, that would be another example of an edit I am trying to make that isn't happening...
    Keith Seyffarth
    Paydirt Design

Plugin Contributions

I don't see a problem with "Author" change as putting your name/company name there is exactly what the author meta is for. kobra is being cranky
    From my read it seems as if there might be some caching going on, what happens if you do your tests in the default_template/common/html_header.php?
    Mike
    AEIIA - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    From my read it seems as if there might be some caching going on, what happens if you do your tests in the default_template/common/html_header.php?
    That's what it feels like to me as well - some kind of caching. I hadn't thought of editing default_template/common/html_header.php - specifically because it does not contain changes such as the Google+ code (which is working). However, on your recommendation, I just tried that, and that isn't ending up on pages either...
    Keith Seyffarth
    Paydirt Design

Plugin Contributions

then there must be some caching going on somewhere.
    Mike
    AEIIA - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    then there must be some caching going on somewhere.
    Okay, but where?

I believe that I have eliminated caching in the browser as a concern by clearing the cache in my primary browser (Firefox for FreeBSD) and reloading the page, using a secondary browser (Opera for FreeBSD), and even booting up a Windows machine I use every couple months for testing and loading the page in Opera and Chrome from there - and get the same behavior.

Also, I can change other files in the template and those changes happen immediately - like alterations to tpl_footer.php or tpl_header.php. I made changes to the stylesheet in the /templates/montanagems/css/ folder today that were live right away, as well as updating an EZ Page and updating the define_main_page...

I didn't think that Zen-Cart could cache the template pieces anywhere else that would need to be flushed somehow as some other tools do, but I have also switched from this template back to the green and back, and it still wouldn't get me a current version of html_header.php - and I also cloned the template (but I acknowledge that that may have just cloned the problem) and switched to the new template and am not getting the changes...

I'm not aware of any settings on the server that would be caching something, but if there were, why would changes to tpl_header come through immediately but changes to html_header may or may not show up after two or three days...
    Keith Seyffarth
    Paydirt Design

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12