Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: database writing problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperfire
    but sometimes not doing it your way is indeed not the "wrong" way

The problem is not that I am doing it "wrong", the problem is that I am doing it the hard way
    It is not so much that it is the hard way as most referenced FAQ's that are the recommended methods especially for most that are not fully up to speed on the inner workings of the ZenCart Database and the inter-dependent tables contained in it.
    It dawns on me, that every one of us does this in our own way
    Again, there are FAQ's that outline the recommended methods that will insure your being successful

Most all of us here are volunteers on the forum and as you noted - our intent is to "help"
    With a join Date of Apr 2008 it is beyond us knowing at what level you are

I am glad that there was one that offered to assist you and hope that you take my comments as they are intended
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    It is not so much that it is the hard way as most referenced FAQ's that are the recommended methods especially for most that are not fully up to speed on the inner workings of the ZenCart Database and the inter-dependent tables contained in it.

Again, there are FAQ's that outline the recommended methods that will insure your being successful

Most all of us here are volunteers on the forum and as you noted - our intent is to "help"
    With a join Date of Apr 2008 it is beyond us knowing at what level you are

I am glad that there was one that offered to assist you and hope that you take my comments as they are intended
    Your immediate assumption EVEN THOUGH I have been here since 2008, was that I had done NONE of the "recommended" things first and was just being what you saw as a hack for no good reason. You didn't even ask why I was building this from within the db and spoke to me as if I were an errant child. I took umbrage with that -- as I said, I'm hypersensitive, it is a good idea to be cognizant of the fact that we are all human beings, not automatons. Kindness is not much to ask and it is free to offer. I'll also point out that since this forum is so international, a lot of people posting here will be doing so, possibly in their second language so nuance will not be so obvious as it may be in a face to face setting.

I'd like to thank you for your intention to help. I recognize that. I know only too well what being a volunteer is. I do a TON of volunteeer work.

I'd also suggest that you ASK people what they've done first before making assumptions and admonishing them. That's all. I'm sure you didn't mean to make me feel anything less than supported. I am also certain that you really did mean to help. I am simply pointing out that your "help" was the exact opposite. You were NOT alone in that lack of helpfulness. I doubt any of that was intentional. Which is why I posted. Perhaps in future, you and others can be more aware of this.

Perhaps we can start on new feet. I prefer to not go through life thinking negative thoughts about people and I prefer if you don't think negative thoughts about me over this.

We are after all, here to help each other. :)

Plugin Contributions

You didn't even ask why I was building this from within the db
    I beg to differ, as I posted
    Quote Originally Posted by KoBra
    Can you outline then how you have upgraded
    Please explain what steps you are taking to perform your "line by line" statement
    spoke to me as if I were an errant child
    What about my post is treating you as if you were an errant child?????
    as I said, I'm hypersensitive
    Get over it - how are we to know how sensitive you are???
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperfire View Post
    I'm a hypersensitive individual
    Are you sure that the Internet is the right place for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperfire View Post
    That is all -- Be kind. It's not hard.
    It's often harder that not being kind, and sometimes you've gotta be cruel to be kind (or so the lyrics go).

Some of us aren't even cruel or nasty... we are what used to be called 'sh!t stirrers', but are more commonly known as 'trolls'.

And finally, some of us tend to be devoid of 'emotion', and simply state facts with no emoticons to indicate seriousness, humour, or something entirely different.

What is written can be taken in several ways, and how it is taken says more about the reader than the writer.

This message is an example of the latter. <grin>

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

It's unfortunate that the log file results posted in post #3 weren't pounced upon but somewhat understandable if from a paid mod. That's just one of the reasons I think the posting tip questions should be mandatory and include, "Are you (or have you) used a commercial mod?" In this case, answering about a commercial payment mod might have saved a lot of time.
    While the expertise of each poster is not evident, most responses will result in ANYTHING BUT the hard way to fix things. Most come here wanting a quick fix instead. Also, for the benefit of those who come to a thread in a later search, every effort is made to steer folks to "tried and true" solutions.
    I'm glad you got it going.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Friend,
    If you dont mind, I offer a free help in upgrading your cart. You can give me a dev site to work with.
    Assure you a quality support.
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123