Plugin Contributions

Default Product Description not displaying properly

Hi

I have googled out this and couldn't find the answer so thought I'd try to see if anyone on here can help.

I've only just noticed that when I create a product (using CKEditor) I set the description to how it should display yet when the product is live the description loses some formatting.

I've put 3 screenshots below to show the problem. Item looks fine in edit view and preview but on actual live product view the description has no line breaks?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit_view_resized.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	16060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview_resized.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	16061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	listingview_resized.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	16062

http://www.johnwoodsmotorcare.net/Ca...nel-Air-Filter

The CKEditor plugin would not work initially and had lost some of the functions that I use (ie colour of txt ext) so went to the CKEditor site and downloaded the full plugin from them and installed it. It's only today that the description display has been brought to my attention.

The product description on all products on the site are affected, not just new ones that I add.

Many thanks

Mark

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product Description not displaying properly

mark,
    i think you would benefit from learning a bit about css. it seems that you have the westminster_new template installed. on line 1 of:

includes/templates/westminster_new/css/stylesheet_responsive_tabs.css

you have padding and margin set to 0. if you commented out those lines, your formatting might look more like you want. however, i can not say what it would do to other elements of your design/template. because, you know.... CSS is just awesome! see: https://www.tumblr.com/search/css%20humor

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, CKEditor does this because the output HTML/CSS doesn't always convert to the SQL field properly OR your template CSS interferes.

What happens when you switch to the classic template?
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by twitchtoo View Post
    Yes, CKEditor does this because the output HTML/CSS doesn't always convert to the SQL field properly OR your template CSS interferes.

What happens when you switch to the classic template?
    Hi Twitchtoo, when I switch to classic the whole product display area is blank!

Going to remove CKEditor and associated files and install an older CK plugin to test that out.

Plugin Contributions

Hi
    As posted above it is caused by css not the ckeditor version so restoring older version may not help.
    as carlwhat posted above your stylesheet is overridding css paddings and margins and probably this is the cause of your problems.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by store-support View Post
    Hi
    As posted above it is caused by css not the ckeditor version so restoring older version may not help.
    as carlwhat posted above your stylesheet is overridding css paddings and margins and probably this is the cause of your problems.
    The initial fix posted (re css) did work but I was trying to find what had caused it in the first place as the file mentioned (includes/templates/westminster_new/css/stylesheet_responsive_tabs.css) had not been altered since installation of the template which was used on a fresh install of v154.

I'm not a coder/developer and the site has been developed over the years using various plug in's, tutorials, and basic trial and error on the coding changes. CSS would be completely foreign and new to me so I'll start doing some reading up on it all!

Thank you all for the assistance.

Mark

Plugin Contributions

the web has gotten so complex, that maintaining a modern shopping cart does require a bit more expertise in keeping it together.

developer tools (available on a number of browsers including chrome and firefox) are a great way to see what it is going on. and for troubleshooting the kinds of issues you are having.

it looks like you removed part of the template (or perhaps just that css file) as now, the display looks fine, and the css value for P (paragraphs) has a value of padding: 0.5em.

i want to alert you to a permissions problem with your header image. now sure what image you are using, but the image URL is currently:

http://www.johnwoodsmotorcare.net/Ca...er_new/images/

which is returning a 403 error. you would need to work with the file manager on your cpanel, or perhaps you can change the permissions via an ftp client, or something of the like. hopefully your hosting company can help.

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    the web has gotten so complex, that maintaining a modern shopping cart does require a bit more expertise in keeping it together.

developer tools (available on a number of browsers including chrome and firefox) are a great way to see what it is going on. and for troubleshooting the kinds of issues you are having.

it looks like you removed part of the template (or perhaps just that css file) as now, the display looks fine, and the css value for P (paragraphs) has a value of padding: 0.5em.

i want to alert you to a permissions problem with your header image. now sure what image you are using, but the image URL is currently:

http://www.johnwoodsmotorcare.net/Ca...er_new/images/

which is returning a 403 error. you would need to work with the file manager on your cpanel, or perhaps you can change the permissions via an ftp client, or something of the like. hopefully your hosting company can help.

good luck!
    Not quite... The absence of the image is not because of permissions, but instead a lack of 1) defining an image and 2) the image being there.

Currently a 403 is thrown because the directory can not be accessed as the image it needs an image to reach.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Not quite... The absence of the image is not because of permissions, but instead a lack of 1) defining an image and 2) the image being there.

Currently a 403 is thrown because the directory can not be accessed as the image it needs an image to reach.
    Or the "line" that is trying to present the image needs to be removed. It is possible to present a 1x1 pixel image to alleviate the error and minimize the impact on future upgrades, etc...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post

The head image isn't displayed (logo.png) as it didn't work with the layout the boss wanted on the site. Instead the alt text was left to appear. I can't actually remember now (was over a year ago!) what file I edited to make this happen as I have now realised I can get away with putting a small logo on there with the VAT info which would then free up the tagline for another message.

Gives me something to do on it tomorrow now!

Thanks for all the assistance.

Mark