Plugin Contributions

Default Used OSC_SEOURLS with 1.3.8, suggestion for replacement for 1.5.4

We used to use a plugin with ZC1.3.8 that was called "OSC_SEOURLS.APP" that was created with portions of code from BFDesigns, osCommerce, and Numinex to create SEO URLs.

Now we've upgraded to ZC1.5.4 and that code (as far as we know from the webmaster who did the upgrade) is no longer compatible.

We're looking for a modern replacement that can handle a store with +10,000 products and the potential of having numbers in the product name (I read somewhere that the current Numinex product has issues with numbers in the product name).

Please forgive me for being a programming newb.

Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Used OSC_SEOURLS with 1.3.8, suggestion for replacement for 1.5.4

You might have a look through the support thread for the 3rd party Ultimate SEO plugin
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....Support-Thread

If you find what you are looking for this is the link to the plugin
    https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=132
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Considering that you are more than likely wanting to maintain your current position in ranking and the ability to find your product that you may want something that allows you to establish existing uris to your existing product rather than 1) using htaccess to try to remap all of your product 2) starting over with all of your uris.

With that in mind I would suggest CEON URI mapping.

But in the end, either of the two suggested URI managers would be able to support the other criteria of numbers existing in the product name... Both remain supported and functional.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, BUT.....

Considering that you are more than likely wanting to maintain your current position in ranking
    Hasn't it been established a zillion times over that the URL's have no affect on site rankings? Ergo, isn't it logical that there is nothing to be gained by replicating, redirecting or rewriting a URL for ranking purposes?

Whatever happened to the KISS principle? Why not let the old URL's just 'die' and the new/current ones be reindexed. Isn't that what the search engines are designed to do? The rankings, as almost everyone accepts these days, are based on *content*. If the content hasn't changed, then neither will the rankings.

Not looking for an argument or discussion, just trying to point out the fact. :-)

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Sorry, BUT.....

Hasn't it been established a zillion times over that the URL's have no affect on site rankings? Ergo, isn't it logical that there is nothing to be gained by replicating, redirecting or rewriting a URL for ranking purposes?

Whatever happened to the KISS principle? Why not let the old URL's just 'die' and the new/current ones be reindexed. Isn't that what the search engines are designed to do? The rankings, as almost everyone accepts these days, are based on *content*. If the content hasn't changed, then neither will the rankings.

Not looking for an argument or discussion, just trying to point out the fact. :-)

Cheers
    RodG
    No, you are correct, I did use the improper terminology/reference... I was trying to beat at the, hey I know how to get to that product I just type/copy paste *this* and tada it takes me there aspect... I tied too much into the "concept".

Admittedly I didn't put the due concentration and focus on the entire answer. Thank you for correcting that aspect.

Plugin Contributions

You can try Simple SEO URLs
    Our Site: http://zucando.com
    Marketing Plugins: Marketing Modules
    Free Response Templates: Responsive Templates

Plugin Contributions

SSU is a cache folder filling pig, avoid it
    Last edited by barco57; 21 Mar 2016 at 07:22 AM.
    Mike
    AEIIA - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    SSU is a cache folder filling pig, avoid it
    Howdy barco57! Haven't seen you in a while, not that you're not around.

Wasn't sure how to make a similar statement.

Another observed issue with it is that it removes a piece of functionality standard with ZC. That being, once an attributable product has been added to the cart, selecting the product from the cart ought to return to that product, populate all of the attributes that had been chosen and display the quantity of that product that is in the cart (if that quantity display has been turned on in the admin).

With SSU, selecting the product only returns the customer to the product info page with no selections identified. Further, if a cart has installed Display myDebug Logs to allow accessing the logs in the admin, then the number of logs increases significantly and quickly leading the store owner to blame the particular installer that they have done something wrong (ie. followed specific instruction to install SSU or if previously found installed told to keep it in place because it is "preferred" by the owner and to just "stop the errors from logging"... Which is a wrong approach and trying to fix the specific cause, well the issue has been reported, discussed about throughout the thread and not something that I'm interested in tackling considering that there are two other functional/viable solutions that work out-of-the box.)

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your responses.

Mike