Plugin Contributions

Default How to calculate shipping for orders with both store pickup items and delivered items

I have store pickup shipping, flat rate shipping, and freeshipper shipping modules enabled. The default is flat rate which works well. Customers located near the store often select store pickup, but not all items are located at the store. I want to calculate shipping charges for those items in the order but not at the store when store pickup is selected by the customer. What is the best approach to accomplish this?

I could enable the store pickup module only if the order contains items at the store, but we may miss sales this way, as the customer would have to place two orders, one for the items to be picked up, and another for the items to be shipped. I want to avoid this.

Another possibility might be to clone the flat rate shipping module, modifying it to appear to the customer as store pickup, and have it calculate shipping for the ordered items not present in the store. Shipping for items located at the store would not be charged.

Is there any other simpler approach to essentially call some flat rate shipping calculation function (or method?) for items not in the store in the store pickup processing path? If so, please outline the approach, and possible notifiers to attach to.

Thanks,

Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to calculate shipping for orders with both store pickup items and delivered i

Quote Originally Posted by Dave224 View Post
    I have store pickup shipping, flat rate shipping, and freeshipper shipping modules enabled. The default is flat rate which works well. Customers located near the store often select store pickup, but not all items are located at the store. I want to calculate shipping charges for those items in the order but not at the store when store pickup is selected by the customer. What is the best approach to accomplish this?

I could enable the store pickup module only if the order contains items at the store, but we may miss sales this way, as the customer would have to place two orders, one for the items to be picked up, and another for the items to be shipped. I want to avoid this.

Another possibility might be to clone the flat rate shipping module, modifying it to appear to the customer as store pickup, and have it calculate shipping for the ordered items not present in the store. Shipping for items located at the store would not be charged.

Is there any other simpler approach to essentially call some flat rate shipping calculation function (or method?) for items not in the store in the store pickup processing path? If so, please outline the approach, and possible notifiers to attach to.

Thanks,

Dave
    Dave, the answer is yes this will work.

You will need to decide if you want to flag each product so when it hits the shopping cart you can then manipulate it during the checkout process. (Many products solution)

OR

You could tell the cart to react to particular products in a particular way. (Few products solution)

I would install a special switch in a new cloned flat rate module or appropriate shipping module to notify the customer and yourself that the cart has mixed shipping/delivery/pickup.

Once that is done you could easily create an output list for picking orders or any instructions needed for your employees to sort the order efficiently :)

I typically put this information in the admin order emails - this allows employees to get emails on their phone while working.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.