Plugin Contributions

Default Question about Auto Backup services

Still with Blue Host mainly because they get me for years upfront. They just removed the free site backup pro from the service which automatically backed up the site, databases, etc. that was all done right on bluehost.

Now, they offer code guard which is a paid service and it takes me off bluehost, to another site.

So, now have to give SFTP or FTP access to the site and database passwords so that it can back up the code.

Each time we divulge sensitive info, it concerns me but I'm sort of stuck. Let's say someone is able to hack their way into code guard and steal a million records of data including the FTP and Database codes. Other than messing with the site itself and getting customer records, emails, etc. what damage can be done financially meaning with credit card processor, paypal, bank,etc by having access to the configure information, hash tags, etc?

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question about Auto Backup services

Customer records and emails have no value, they're all over the dark web anyway. Can you restrict your CC processor to only accept orders from the static IP of your website? When we setup accounts with our CC processor and PayPal we were given one-time keys; those may be tied to our https cert, I'm not sure, maybe others can weigh in on that.

Plugin Contributions

Processing is tied to SSL, API, and other encrypted information and generally done off site for security.

Still, customer information should be controlled as much as possible. Adding that information to more than one location is a risk level that is logarithmic versus mathematical. Like an earthquake or tornado, adding one to another of the same does not equal two of the original but nearly 3.

And they want to make you pay for a cPanel option that can download a backup (full or partial) anytime?

For some reason, the forum is not accepting an image of the cPanel Backup Wizard section.

Plugin Contributions

I added what it looks like to the knowledge base at myzencarthost.com

Plugin Contributions

it used to be automatic. i do nothing, it backs up daily...everything, databases, websites, anything else, domains, settings, emails. etc. they just killed all of that which means i now have to pay for it. Automatic is important because small business means I have to automate as much as possible whenever possible in case i forget to do something. so if someone were to hack into the backup company and get a hold of the database that runs Zencart, they have what? hash numbers, etc. Can they do serious damage with the information held in the payments modules in Zen? --if hacked.
    May i know how many people are using Zencart in the world? Anyone know? Thanks for replying by the way...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by muah View Post
    it used to be automatic. i do nothing, it backs up daily...everything, databases, websites, anything else, domains, settings, emails. etc. they just killed all of that which means i now have to pay for it. Automatic is important because small business means I have to automate as much as possible whenever possible in case i forget to do something. so if someone were to hack into the backup company and get a hold of the database that runs Zencart, they have what? hash numbers, etc. Can they do serious damage with the information held in the payments modules in Zen? --if hacked.
    May i know how many people are using Zencart in the world? Anyone know? Thanks for replying by the way...
    You might look at https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...atible-Hosting for a list of known Zen Cart compatible hosting companies; I'm pretty sure that most of them do automatic backups as part of their hosting fee.

The risk, IMO, of a hacker getting hold of a Zen Cart database is the primarily the personal information (email, phone and address) that is associated with each customer's account.

For the built-in payment methods (e.g. PayPal and Authorize.net), any credit-card information stored is limited to the last 4 digits of the card along with possibly the credit-card type and expiration date (the CVV is never stored).

Plugin Contributions

The cPanel at myzencarthost.com allows you to retrieve folders, files, etc. with monthly (most current), weekly (four most current), and daily (last seven days) backups that can be restored from cPanel. We do charge for some database recoveries as some have to be extricated from an overall DB backup. That backup has only been needed once that I recall.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. I will. I have three hosting accounts. Two are coming new next year... so i'll check. thank you.