Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Product update notification issue

I had an update to a digital product last week. Since I didn't know how to reactivate all the downloads at once, I reset them, one by one (I had over 50 instances). Then, I sent an email notification to all those who had purchased it. That is when things went odd.

Since I did reset the downloads manually, I was able to see who had purchased it (I have a pretty regular crowd). When I sent the notification, it said it sent to 37 recipients. I could see a handful of bad emails but that was about 15, which seemed a little high.

In addition, after I had mentioned the update in my forum, those who had purchased it never got the notification. Then, some who got a notification, emailed me saying they never purchased it.

So I am confused as to how the recipients are "selected" since it didn't seem to match.

I have another update now to do and I am unsure how to notify the customers or whether I am doing it right or not. Is there a particular setting I should be checking or changing?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product update notification issue

Is there any explanation for this situation that I encountered?

I have other updates to the digital products some people have purchased.

How can I make sure that only the customers who purchased them get the notifications?

Plugin Contributions

Email notifications are sent to customers that have "opted in" to the receipt of those emails, so not everyone that purchased will receive it. Additionally, some who simply signed up for product notifications would receive the email even though they haven't purchased it.

I'll suggest covering those conditions in the email you sent, something like

I've just updated {product-name}, if you purchased it in the past please log into your account to download the updated version.

Plugin Contributions

Oh, interesting. I thought that update notifications were automatically sent to all those who had purchased the specific product and only those for that specific product since I have to select the product in question in the process. I didn't think anyone who has not purchased it, would receive those notifications.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Bear in mind that if they have signed up for notifications, even though they have not YET purchased, you could consider them likely future purchasers.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Support
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    Bear in mind that if they have signed up for notifications, even though they have not YET purchased, you could consider them likely future purchasers.
    Very good point!

Plugin Contributions

Is there a quick and easy way to reset the downloads for all those who might have purchased a specific product?
    (remember that I am not techie when it comes to ZC so I need very simple and detailed explanations! )

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    Is there a quick and easy way to reset the downloads for all those who might have purchased a specific product?
    (remember that I am not techie when it comes to ZC so I need very simple and detailed explanations! )
    In what manner do you want to "reset" the downloads? Do you want to limit the future downloads to a number of days since purchase or do you want the downloads to be "perpetual"?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    In what manner do you want to "reset" the downloads? Do you want to limit the future downloads to a number of days since purchase or do you want the downloads to be "perpetual"?
    My download links expire after 6 months. I am not sure why I have an expiry date (can I NOT have one?) but most of them have already expired so the customers can't download the new updated file.

Maybe I should have the downloads "perpetual" in the future!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CaroleAs View Post
    My download links expire after 6 months. I am not sure why I have an expiry date (can I NOT have one?) but most of them have already expired so the customers can't download the new updated file.

Maybe I should have the downloads "perpetual" in the future!
    For "unlimited" downloads in the future
    - Set Configuration :: Attribute Settings :: Download Expiration (Number of Days) to 0

To set all customers' downloads to have no restrictions, copy the following, paste into your admin's Tools :: Install SQL Patches and run (after making a backup of your current database!):
    Code:
    UPDATE orders_products_download SET download_maxdays = 0;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast