Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: News & Article Management

Hi Bettysue,

I've been using this contribution on my version of 1.3.5 for about a month now and haven't run into any problems.

If you decide to install the 'sidebox' add-on and discover how to limit the articles that are being displayed, please let me know! I'm days away from launching my cart and this is one of the few things I haven't been able to figure out!

Best of luck!

Plugin Contributions

Having a small problem here with how the full article is showing up on the page.
    It actually fills the center column to the very edges of my sideboxes.

you can see the problem here...

http://www.oldwestgames.com/news/sup...roops-a-1.html

this problem was brought up on this other thread but there is still no solution

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...t=news+article

I have tried everything to make the article behave but nothing is working. it seems in fact that (using the "view formatted source" tool in firefox) that it does not have a div that directly controls just the text.

please help me out here.

thanks
    Last edited by mafiasam; 27 Oct 2006 at 09:12 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Just upgraded to 1.3.6

The image of the news and summary is not displaying right. It is on the left of the box, while all the text is under it.

It use to be an image on the right, with text on the left and under.

Any idea
    My Store: Bonsai tree seeds

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by voltage View Post
    I'm using this with 1.3. I would like to wrap a div around the entire news template (it needs a little padding). However, I've looked at the tpl files and they are a different format than the rest of zen and I can;t seem to figure out how to do it.
    Hi everybody,

First off, what a great mod! Many thanks Joshua

I don't know if anybody has posted anything in response to the above question but I was wondering the same thing. How can you wrap a div around the entire news content? It seemed difficult at fist because I tried editing the stylsheet to get some padding on the left but it didn't always work. In addition, on the main page the news content goes within the centerColumn container, but on article pages, comment pages, etc, there is no container, so styles would not be consistent.

Well I may have a solution, try it if you dare!

1. Browse to you includes/classes directory and find 'news.php'.
    2. Make a backup just in case.
    3. Open up the file for editing (I know it looks a little hectic but it's actually not) and notice that everything is broken into sections. For example you have:

Code:
    function newsHeader($header, $date, $links_array = false) {
                $this->news_page .= '<div class="newsHeader"><h1>' . $header . '</h1></div>' . "\n";
                $this->news_page .= '<div class="newsHeadlineText">' . $date;

if ($links_array && is_array($links_array)) {
                    foreach ($links_array as $link) {
                        $this->news_page .= ' | <a href="' . $link['link'] . '">' . $link['text'] . '</a>';
                    }
                }

$this->news_page .= '</div>' . "\n";

$this->clearSplit();

return true;
            }
    This houses the div classes for the newsHeader and newsHeadlineText.

4. Every section you want to wrap you've got to wrap individually. So for the above you would change the code to:

Code:
    function newsHeader($header, $date, $links_array = false) {
                $this->news_page .= '<div class="newsWrapper">';
                $this->news_page .= '<div class="newsHeader"><h1>' . $header . '</h1></div>' . "\n";
                $this->news_page .= '<div class="newsHeadlineText">' . $date;

if ($links_array && is_array($links_array)) {
                    foreach ($links_array as $link) {
                        $this->news_page .= ' | <a href="' . $link['link'] . '">' . $link['text'] . '</a>';
                    }
                }

$this->clearSplit();

return true;
            }
    Note the code in red. This is what you must add before and after each specific area you want wrapped listed in this class file. Add the bolded lines at the begining and end of each section you want wrapped or need padding on.

Another example for the articleHeading div:

Before
    Code:
    function articleHeading($heading) {
                $this->news_page .= '<p class="articleHeading">' . $heading . '</p>' . "\n";

return true;
            }
    After
    Code:
    function articleHeading($heading) {
                $this->news_page .= '<div class="newsWrapper">';
                $this->news_page .= '<p class="articleHeading">' . $heading . '</p>' . "\n";

return true;
            }
    5. One other very important step would be to add the appropriate CSS to your stylesheet for the 'newsWrapper' style.
    6. That's pretty much it. The only other thing I can think of is you may want to account for this additional style padding on your home page by editing your includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_index_default.php file where you added the news module (this is what makes it display on your home page) and setting up another div with a negative left margin like so:

Code:
    <?php
    /**
     * get the Define Main Page Text
     */
    ?>
    <div id="indexDefaultMainContent" class="content"><?php require($define_page); ?></div>
    <?php } ?>

<div style="margin-left: -10px;">
    <?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . zen_get_module_directory(FILENAME_NEWS_SUMMARY_MODULE)); ?>
    </div>

<?php
      $show_display_category = $db->Execute(SQL_SHOW_PRODUCT_INFO_MAIN);
      while (!$show_display_category->EOF) {
    ?>
    Have fun!

- Jonah

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bombknex View Post
    Hi everybody,

First off, what a great mod! Many thanks Joshua

I don't know if anybody has posted anything in response to the above question but I was wondering the same thing. How can you wrap a div around the entire news content? It seemed difficult at fist because I tried editing the stylsheet to get some padding on the left but it didn't always work. In addition, on the main page the news content goes within the centerColumn container, but on article pages, comment pages, etc, there is no container, so styles would not be consistent...
    sweet, Jonah.
    I'm going to try that tomorrow and I'll let you know how it worked out.

thanks for the directions.

mafiasam

Plugin Contributions

I would like to know if it would be possible to display summaries for multiple news items on my index page or, even better, if it would be possible to display the main index.php?main_page=news as the default first page when the user visits the site. I *could* create an index.html file with a <HEAD> redirect to this page, but this seems like an inelegant solution.

Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: News & Article Management

Can someone please help me having a problem fckeditor i'm getting this error:

Warning: Missing argument 1 for FCKeditor::__construct(), called in W:\www\edy\admin\news.php on line 368 and defined in W:\www\edy\admin\includes\fckeditor.php on line 25

Fatal error: Call to undefined method FCKeditor::CreateFCKeditor() in W:\www\edy\admin\news.php on line 370

Can some please give me some insight on how to resolve this issue.

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: News & Article Management

Quote Originally Posted by kaleco View Post
    I would like to know if it would be possible to display summaries for multiple news items on my index page or, even better, if it would be possible to display the main index.php?main_page=news as the default first page when the user visits the site. I *could* create an index.html file with a <HEAD> redirect to this page, but this seems like an inelegant solution.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey all,

I'm looking for this functionality as well, mainly the display of multiple news items in my summary. Josh, do you have any input as to how this could be done? I tried 'astralp' modded news_summary.php (www.hgsounds.com/demo/news_summary.zip) from the archives but there are some big issues with it.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Jonah

Plugin Contributions

I'm probably missing something here. Mod is great and works fine. All I want to do is have a (more) button on the sidebox that takes you to the list of all articles?? Is this in the mod? Same as the featured and new products sideboxes

Plugin Contributions

Default Date and Time Display Problem with News Article Management

Hi everybody,

I've currently fallen into a no-way-out problem with Date and Time Display in News Article Management. To make things clear, my problem is that my store is in Vietnam (Time Zone: GMT+7) while my host server is in USA (Time Zone GMT-7).

Therefore, it always take an additional 14 hours before my articles actually appear in my website instead of the right date as being set in the admin side of News and Article Management.

Can anyone show me the way out of this problem? Pls help me with this since I'm really stuck.

Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,

Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast