Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Should I use *only* Paypal Express checkout?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticHarbor View Post
    Express Checkout can be used by customers that have an existing PayPal account (or they will have to sign up for one to use the Express Checkout option).
    I thought customers were only allowed to use an existing PayPal balance in express checkout.
    In fact, you are correct.
    Sorry, I mis-stated what I was thinking.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, I have a question about this:

To clarify:
    If you use PayPal IPN, your customers will be able to pay by credit card without a paypal account.
    If you use Express Checkout, your customers will need to make or use a PayPal account. PayPal wants to get customers to create accounts.
    If you want to process credit cards without customers creating accounts, you'll need a different service.
    Is this no longer accurate? I cleared my Paypal cookies and checked on a site using Express Checkout, and I do see the credit card form on the Paypal site.

Also, other threads seem to say that the opposite is true - that customers don't need a Paypal account to check out:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...09&postcount=5

It seems like customers really don't need an account. Is that the final word?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

I'm using express checkout now on my site. When taken to the paypal login page, the text on the left hand side says: "Pay with Credit Card or Log In". It has all the fields to manually enter credit card info.
    There is a link that allows the user to save their info with paypal (create an account). However, it is not necessary.
    When I first starting using Zen, I could have sworn that IPN was the only way to fly to accept orders from non paypal members, and so I never used Express Checkout. Maybe paypal changed this recently.
    Long story short: Looks like Express Checkout is an option even for non PayPal members.

Plugin Contributions

Also,
    The link provided in your post, shows DrByte to be correct.

This is straight from paypal:

"When PayPal Account Optional is turned on, your customers who are new to PayPal will no longer be required to create a PayPal account to complete a purchase—they will go through an alternate checkout, and will have the option to sign up afterward. Customers who already have PayPal accounts will continue to enjoy the privileges of those accounts, such as payment history and integration with eBay Auctions, and their checkout experience will remain the same.

This feature is available for Buy Now, Donations, and Shopping Cart buttons, but not for Subscription buttons."

Hope this helps and does not confuse the issue further!

Plugin Contributions

Also,
    The link provided in your post, shows DrByte to be correct.

This is straight from paypal:

"When PayPal Account Optional is turned on, your customers who are new to PayPal will no longer be required to create a PayPal account to complete a purchase—they will go through an alternate checkout, and will have the option to sign up afterward. Customers who already have PayPal accounts will continue to enjoy the privileges of those accounts, such as payment history and integration with eBay Auctions, and their checkout experience will remain the same.

This feature is available for Buy Now, Donations, and Shopping Cart buttons, but not for Subscription buttons."

Hope this helps and does not confuse the issue further!
    I am confused. In this post you are saying that Dr. Byte is right, but this bit from PayPal says he's wrong.

I have PayPal Account Optional turned on, and my cart lets customers without PayPal accounts use PayPal Express to pay without creating a PayPal account, essentially, making Express Pay better and faster than PayPal IPN with no drawbacks compared to PayPal IPN. So, I can't find a single reason to have PayPal IPN installed while using PayPal Express.

If anyone thinks this is wrong, speak now or forever hold your peace, because I am about to drop PayPal IPN altogether (and backup your opposing position with a reference of fact, please :-) )

Thanks, all!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If I may say so, I'm correct.

I don't see where that quote contradicts in any way.

And, to answer your concern, you don't need IPN if you're using Express Checkout.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Should I use *only* Paypal Express checkout?

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    To clarify:
    If you use PayPal IPN, your customers will be able to pay by credit card without a paypal account.
    If you use Express Checkout, your customers will need to make or use a PayPal account. PayPal wants to get customers to create accounts.
    If you want to process credit cards without customers creating accounts, you'll need a different service.
    Why does it say customers don't need to sign up for a Paypal account when using express checkout on this page:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=15 ?

Plugin Contributions

Account optional is turned on in my Paypal profile, but still when I checkout on my site, the first Paypal screen I get is a log on screen, and off to the left is a little link that says sign up for a Paypal account and continue checkout.

Plugin Contributions

When I use the PayPal Express checkout, my customers have the option of using a CC to pay without having to make an account...

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Should I use *only* Paypal Express checkout?

Could anyone possibly take a look? Maybe the Paypal page that comes up is the one that's supposed to, but it doesn't look right to me. There's the option to log in, and off to the left in tiny print that most customers probably won't see, it says "Sign up for a PayPal account and continue checkout."
    My store is here http://www.boutique.hotpinkflamingo.net
    What could I possibly have configured wrong? I have account optional turned on in my Paypal settings. I only have two payment modules activated, Paypal Express and check/money order.
    Thanks for any help. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast