Plugin Contributions

Default I am scared to upgrade Zencart on my own. Can you encourage me?

Ok, I had a guy design my website, but then he moved onto other things. So I am stuck doing my own website maintence.

I think I need to upgrade my ZenCart first and foremost. I am running version "// $Id: version.php 1602 2005-07-18 05:01:59Z drbyte $".

Do I just follow the directions here?

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=108

What kind of tips can you guys give me? I have never done any of this before. Thanks for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I am scared to upgrade Zencart on my own. Can you encourage me?

Do you have any idea of how many mods have been added to your site and what they are???

For a pretty painless upgrade first backup your site and your MySQL database then give the new version a go. If it doesn't work you can always unwind back to your restore and all you would have lost would be a little time.
    Andrew

Andrew Moore
    Omnicia Agile Development
    www.omnicia.com

Plugin Contributions

I have no clue what he did to set it up. I know it has been moded quite a bit. If I can't figure all of this out, do you guys have anyone you can recommend that will do this for me?

Plugin Contributions

There is a commercial room here that you can ask for commercial help.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Just back up EVERYTHING first. That way, if disaster strikes, no problem! Just wipe everything on your ftp site, re-upload everything, and re import your database. Problem solved.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
    I have no clue what he did to set it up. I know it has been moded quite a bit. If I can't figure all of this out, do you guys have anyone you can recommend that will do this for me?
    Sure- just send me an email.
    Andrew

Andrew Moore
    Omnicia Agile Development
    www.omnicia.com

Plugin Contributions

No need to be scared - just break it down into logical steps and take one at a time.

For example, I decided that rather then just overwriting the core code with the new version I would rebuild from scratch. This means I can eliminate mods I don't really use, and end up with a cleaner system.

So, I downloaded 138a, created a new subdomain on my server, and built a core 'out-of-the-box' development system using data copied across from my live system. Once I confirmed that was working (accepting that it couldn't be perfect because many mods had not been installed) I BACKED IT UP. I make no excuses for shouting about BACKUPS. The backup is in a folder '1Z_Backup' on my pc.

Now, I'm progressively adding each mod I know I need and backing up after testing each mod.

So, on my pc I have the following directories:
    • 1A_Build_Core (contains the downloaded 1.3.8a installation)
    • 1Z_Backup (contains the backup of the core development system from my server)
    • 2A_Install_Template (contains the installation files for my template)
    • 2Z_Backup (contains the core system with the template added and working)
    • 3A_Install_Image_Handler (contains the installation files for Image Handler 2)
    • 3Z_Backup (contains the backup of the system after IH2 was installed and tested)
    • etc
    You can see how easy it is - if I hit a major problem - to go back to any stage. Eventually I'll end up with a development system that is ready to go live (code-wise but not data-wise).

No doubt the re-port and upgrade of the live data will have its problems but I'll deal with those as part of an upgrade test before running the final upgrade and putting the new version of the system live.

In your case I suspect the major issue will be in determining what mods are currently installed. Perhaps if you post a link some of the regulars here will recognise them and be able to offer advice on the best way to upgrade. Remember that some mods don't show up in the customer end of the system. You'll need to trawl through your admin options to find out what's in there. A dump of your configuration tables (not files) may also help as they'll contain rows for mods that were installed (but not necessarily still current or in use).
    We're now settled in at our final home - http://www.swiftbooks.co.uk - where you'll find an eclectic collection of used books. Still a lot of work to do, though!