Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems validating my HTML with ampersands in define pages

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    With respect to define-pages, Zen Cart doesn't alter the submitted code other than to sanitize slashes.
    Thus, the changing of ampersands must be occurring via the use of one of the rich-text editing tools ...
    You're free to try different rich-text editors if you wish to try out different approaches available.
    Or, you can create your own raw HTML by turning off the rich-text ("HTML Editors") editor and just using "Plain Text" mode.
    I hesitate to debate this with one of the Zen masters, but my experience is not quite what you describe. But perhaps this is a "Who's on first" kind of discussion. In any case, I will plunge on...

Selecting the Define Pages Editor, and with Text Editor set to Plain text, if I enter & inside a URL and then save the file, when I reopen that file for further editing, the & has been changed to a simple & character. This will generate an error in the resulting rendered page if I check its syntax, so I have to remember to change the & back to & every time. (The image on the main page of both my sites is manually changed every once in a while in exactly this way.)

But I guess we're well off topic now. Just thought I'd clarify what I was saying above.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

No debate necessary. We are aware of the problem special characters being "cleaned" too well when going back and forth from the editor to the database and it is being worked on for the next release.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hi all
    Kim, I wanted to use the "standard" facilities of zencart but the client wanted linked icons for the front page. Maybe there is another way but I couldnt get the results I wanted. (Thats me anyway). The client did not like the "standard" outcome. But as I say more research and I am sure there would be a better way. My time and brief was finite - I was doing html and css mods only - the layout was dictated. I did learn a valuable lesson.

I dont like fiddles with products and this is an example of the problems that can arise.

But even though I can fix the prob, I still dont understand why it works in localhost mode ?? Surely it must be a config setting somewhere. Kim mentioned the database but it seems that just a file is being updated (or is that still part of the conceptual database).

Its good to see it is being addressed.

Lets close it off - Thanks for the help all.

Paul

(I just realised I dont know how to "close it off" - can someone do it please - if indeed there is such a concept).

Plugin Contributions

sorry folks

I stated that it does work in localhost mode where it actually does not.

I have another problem with Safari and crossed my wires there.

Maybe it was the two or five wines I had a short time ago.

Paul

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problems validating my HTML with ampersands in CATEGORY listings

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    No debate necessary. We are aware of the problem special characters being "cleaned" too well when going back and forth from the editor to the database and it is being worked on for the next release.
    I find that I can't use Ampersand in category listings on zen cart, or they are simply "cleaned".

I need a lot of ampersands, because in many places I'm using links, and as you know, I need ampersands to write XHTML valid links.

my html must be=> /index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65
    to create => /index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65 & keep it xhtml valid

ANyway, I see you guys are already aware of the issue--

I went directly into the database to fix my pages--but now I can't simply edit them.. I'm forced to do tedious database work..

Is there a way to hack categories.php so it will stop messing with my "&" ampersands?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhatimdoing View Post
    I find that I can't use Ampersand in category listings on zen cart, or they are simply "cleaned".

I need a lot of ampersands, because in many places I'm using links, and as you know, I need ampersands to write XHTML valid links.

my html must be=> /index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65
    to create => /index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65 & keep it xhtml valid

ANyway, I see you guys are already aware of the issue--

I went directly into the database to fix my pages--but now I can't simply edit them.. I'm forced to do tedious database work..

Is there a way to hack categories.php so it will stop messing with my "&" ampersands?
    Well, I found the fix--from a very nice developer who decided to take pity on me. Looks like no one around here likes to play nice though (except the core development team, I love them--in a platonic way! don't get any ideas!)
    Go to your admin panel...

Configuration > MyStore >

HTML Editor > select: HTMLAREA

Wow.. too good to be true? Maybe.. maybe not...?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhatimdoing View Post
    Well, I found the fix--from a very nice developer who decided to take pity on me. Looks like no one around here likes to play nice though (except the core development team, I love them--in a platonic way! don't get any ideas!)
    Go to your admin panel...

Configuration > MyStore >

HTML Editor > select: HTMLAREA

Wow.. too good to be true? Maybe.. maybe not...?
    Hey-- looks like it's only part of the fix.. something evil in my zen cart is 'cleaning' my mysql entry before presenting it to me..

I know because I cleaned things up & made them validate to w3c standards... directly in mysql... but if I try to observe the page in my admin category listings, the "amp;" is already removed from "&"

Plugin Contributions

OK--none of that crap worked. But this did:

ill just find the sanitize function & comment it out.

i hope i blow up my cart.

functions_general.php
    line 1233 (commented out OoooOOOOo)
    // $string=str_replace('&', '&', $string);

rofl: (w3c validator used)

This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!

I probably broke something else.. but hey, my pages are valid now yay...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for posting that! The ampersand thing has been bothering me for ages, as I manually update the image on my home pages every once in a while.

Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12