Plugin Contributions

Default cardholder name required (but it's there!)

Zen Cart 1.3.8a (clean install)
    Authorize.net AIM

I can't reproduce this issue myself, but I have had more than one customer call in with the same issue, and the people who seem to have this problem have it with every order (we wholesale to member stores, mostly frequent orders from the same people).

Basically, when they get to the last checkout page, enter their credit card details (the card holder name is already filled in from the billing address they provided), they get the message that a cardholder name is required (as if the field were blank). Sometimes just refreshing the page is enough to proceed, sometimes retyping their name, sometimes it takes a few times before they can get past this screen. They insist the cardholder name (both above the credit card number and in the billing address) is there and correct, but it will still tell them a cardholder name is required before proceeding.

So far this has been with Windows XP on both Firefox 3.0.7 and IE 6.

Since I haven't been able to reproduce the problem and I can't see what they see, I'm at a loss as how to test/fix this. It's come up enough times, that I don't think it's user error. I couldn't find any similar problems in the forums.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Melissa

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: cardholder name required (but it's there!)

A URL and I'm willing to try it out on a couple of browsers...

Plugin Contributions

http://www.hypnosisconnection.com/catalog/
    This is our live site.

Again, it's not happening with everyone, maybe 4-5 people total, but it happens with every order they place.

I don't know if maybe there's something I should check in those customer's database entries?

Thanks,
    Melissa

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

What are their names? Maybe they have some odd characters in their names that are being rejected? What if you edit their names (via your admin) and remove any odd symbols?

Additionally, it would be helpful to know "when" the error occurs. Is it AFTER they've clicked submit on the final checkout_confirmation page? Or is it right after they fill in their CC number and attempt to proceed to the final page?

Have you turned on AIM debug mode in your admin payment modules settings? If so, what's showing in the AIM logs when they get the error message?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

You're aware there's an issue with your SSL? I wonder if there's an issue with the session... Someone a tad more learned on that issue might be able to answer - You don't have a valid https://www.hypnosisconnection.com/ - yet that's what you are using...

Plugin Contributions

Good idea, but no strange characters. Normal first and last names with only letters.

They get the error right after they click submit from the cc page. They can't get to the confirmation screen until they get past the "cardholder name required" message.

I can try turning on AIM debug mode and wait for it to happen again. Will the AIM debug mode affect anything else if I leave it on? I can't get the error myself, so I'd have to wait for one of them to try again.

And to reply to Marge about the SSL. There's no issue, we're just using a shared SSL instead of a dedicated, so the address comes up as www.hypnosisconnection.c7.ixwebhosting.com. I know it would look more professional to have a dedicated, but I can't convince the boss to pay the extra when the share does the same thing.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If the problem happens before they get to the confirmation screen, then there's no need for AIM debugging, because the name is being rejected by your store, not the gateway. Try fixing whatever's wrong with the name in the database.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I just looked in the database, and I can't find anything wrong with the names. They're simple all letter names, like Julie and Andrea. There's no trailing spaces behind the names.

The "cardholder name required" message implies that there's no name filled in there at all (even when there is). If it was a problem with the name in the database, simply refreshing the page wouldn't get them past the error, would it? And when I log in as them, I can't reproduce the problem (which if it were a database problem, it's the same database I'm using as they are).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Melissa

Plugin Contributions

Is there a specific payment method it seems to happen with?

Plugin Contributions

I just have the one Authorize.net AIM installed for credit card processing.

The check/money order method doesn't ask for a cardholder name.

Thanks,
    Melissa