Plugin Contributions

red flag Fixed prices in different currencies. Can zen cart do this?

I need to control prices in my store manually, regardless of exchange rate.

For example i want currency a=$100 and currency b=$130

Nice round numbers, not currency b=$128.53 because i don't want to advertise like that accross all other media.

can zen cart do this? I've looked and still can't figure out how.

I don't have many products so i don't mind setting individual nice round numbers for all my products accross the two currecies.

I require help on this urgently,

thanks in advance for any assistance (point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated).

Regards,
    shaztesting

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Fixed prices in different currencies. Can zen cart do this?

Well you can set the currency exchange rates to anything that you want. So, you could certainly achieve:

For example i want currency a=$100 and currency b=$130

It is all in admin>>localisation>>currencies and once you have set it to what you want then you need to avoid clicking the 'update currencies' button because this will go on line and, you guessed it, update the currencies to their rate as found online.

You could have a look at:

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...n_-_Currencies

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There is not currently a built-in feature to manually specify dozens of currency-specific prices for each and every product in the store.
    If you want that, you'll have to write custom code for collecting, storing and displaying those details as well as integrating it into taxes, shipping, discounts, customer's currency-selection and attempts to change it, etc.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

thanks for the confirmation,

i was just hoping there was already some contribution that i had no come accross.

from what you describe, it seems easier for me to maintain two seperate carts on a different domain than start that project. I'll just need two payment processing accounts, get two ssl certs and make sure to apply all updates, changes, etc to both stores at the one time.

Am i overlooking something? Seems like the way to go at the moment.

thanks again

Regards,
    Shaztesting

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte,

I thought of a possible solution to this.

How can i add zone specific (or currency specific) discounts?
    Can this be done?

For example Currency A has a price of $100 and B has a price of $130 determined by the 1.3 exchange rate.

I would like to add a blank discount on the product using Salemaker or something similar of $10 off if Currency B is chosen.

Does this approach have merit?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You could certainly write yourself some custom code to do as you describe. But it's not built-in presently.
    Remember that discounts will typically show up as discounts in your list of order-totals, which may or may not produce the desired effect.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Out of interest, is there any reason why one could not run two installs of Zen Cart the same domain. Both in their own sub-folders?

Then create an entry page at root level that asked the customer to choose their currency and directed them to the correct install.

If you had two databases they would be quite similar and you could save yourself some time by cloning them and just altering the prices in the second one. Or perhaps easy populate and a clever bit of spreadsheet work?

Just an idea and I am no server expert so Dr. Byte will have much better advice about whether this will work....

Plugin Contributions

thanks DrByte,
    "Remember that discounts will typically show up as discounts in your list of order-totals, which may or may not produce the desired effect. "

I hadn't even thought of that.
    I think i'll to go the way of the two carts.

thanks niccol

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shaztesting View Post
    ....I'll just need two payment processing accounts, get two ssl certs and make sure to apply all updates, changes, etc to both stores at the one time.....
    You should be able to run both stores through the same payment processing account. That is what I used to do.

You'll only need two accounts if you want the funds to go to two merchants accounts.