Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default #siteInfoLegal "Design by" tag

Zen Cart Version 1.3.8 patched

Okay I am a novice at HTML and CSS and no nothing about PHP.

As such, I started with a free add on template changed the folder names to my custom template name, redesigned the graphics and then started tweaking the css stylesheet improving on trial and error.

My question is: Is it legal to change change the copyrights in the template is this manner:

/**
    * The My_Template_Name Stylesheet
    * @package templateSystem
    * @copyright Copyright 2010 Myself http://my-domain.com/
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2007 Original_Developer Team http"//his-domain.com/
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003-2006 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    */

If it is okay as above, I also want to change the legal info at the footer

[FONT=Verdana]Copyright © 2010 My-Website. Design by Original Developer[/FONT]
    to
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Copyright © 2010 My-Website. Design by Myself[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

I have looked for the design by part everywhere but have been unable to find it. I have already changed the copyright.

Kindly advise where this can be changed if legal to do so.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: #siteInfoLegal "Design by" tag

In other words take all the credit for other peoples hard work. Can you imagine trying to put together a dynamic website such as zencart yourself!!!

If you make enough changes to the template with your own code then put your name somewhere at the bottom BUT LEAVE ZENCART there too.

Plugin Contributions

that is not what ijlal is saying.

he got the free template and who ever made the template has designed by them in it, he wants to remove this but cannot find it.

what free template did you use so i can tell you where it is?

Plugin Contributions

I'll just throw in a little question.

Why the concern (on either side of the discussion) about a commented area of a php file that can only be seen with FTP or admin access?

If the file has been changed considerably, it's understandable that you would want credit.

If, on the other hand, you are plagiarizing, you will not likely be caught other than by your conscience.

The Zen Cart FAQ states that you need to do a complete customization in order to remove the Zen Cart copyright from the footer.

I would think developers of a custom template would deserve the same respect.

That doesn't mean that you can't add a "modified by" line in the head of the file(s). You'll see that courtesy in the add-ons on many an occasion.

Plugin Contributions

/**
    * The My_Template_Name Stylesheet
    * @package templateSystem
    * @copyright Copyright 2010 Myself http://my-domain.com/
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2007 Original_Developer Team http"//his-domain.com/
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003-2006 Zen Cart Development Team
    * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
    * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
    */
    [/quote]

Guys take it easy. I am not saying I take all the credit. I am not asking to change the name Zen Cart to MY CART, am I?

look at the comments above, I am not trying to take the credit away from anybody. Even Zen Cart developed upon OS Commerce. The software is now called Zen Cart, not osCommerce.

All I want to do is I want to change the name and details of the template that is no longer the same as one developed by somebody else.

How do I change the 'design by xxx' to design by me that shows on the front end footer.

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaGero View Post
    that is not what ijlal is saying.

he got the free template and who ever made the template has designed by them in it, he wants to remove this but cannot find it.

what free template did you use so i can tell you where it is?
    Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your offer to help. I initially had Blue_hilites by JAWCS installed. Then I began changing the design until I came up with a brand new template. Everything is changed now, so it is only fair not to change the design by part as well. Would it be fair to change somebody's design and still say they designed it? But I have not taken all credit away from them as I have kept them in acknowledgement comments. I still have the blue_hilites template installed, so whenever I switch to that template their design by would show and not mine.

Regards,
    Ijlal

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The Zen Cart FAQ states that you need to do a complete customization in order to remove the Zen Cart copyright from the footer.
    dbltoe,

Here is what the Zen Cart FAQ actualy says:

"Copyright © 200X Zen Cart covers the design and graphics in the templates. If you are using a stock template with the included graphics you must leave the copyright. If you make a custom template and use your own graphics you may change the copyright."

If you notice in the comments I have copied from the stylesheet.css (head) I have kept the same format as previous. The previous design was by JAWCS and even they have acknowledged that portions of the copyrights belong to The Zen Cart Development Team. I have also mainatained that acknowledgement. I have also maintained that portions of the copyrights belong to JAWCS Team.

I am sure nobody rewrites the whole code developed by Zen Cart Team when customizing. The basic structure remains the same for all templates, doesn't it? one only has to change the values of the attributes to customise placement of one's own graphics.

The reason I had to remove 'Powered by Zen Cart' was not to claim credit for myself. You see if I was in the US I would never have removed that from the footer. Problem is I run a small store with limited resources; I am the only online store for the range of goods I sell in my country. As it is I am already facing heavy competition from regular outlets. Leaving Zen Cart copyright would have meant showing the much more resourceful competition an easy way to erect their own online stores as well. The only reason I am able to compete with them is because of my unique online status. I needed this advantage for as long as possible before the others finally come online too.

Hope this explains something.

Plugin Contributions

Well, perhaps I should have brought up the information differently.

You ARE eligible to change the copyright and my reply was to both sides AND the general lurking public. Had the discussion stayed as it was, others might have felt they could change anything within the cart for no reason. Others might want to take credit where no credit is due.

Understand also that the copyright in the footer is the only one that is addressed in the FAQ as the others should not show up in php-generated html. You won't find a case where DrByte, Wilt or Ajeh shows on a cart page unless there's a problem with the commenting.

I simply wanted to clarify the guidelines for everyone.

Plugin Contributions

this is right in the readme file

includes/languages/blue_highlites2/english.php
    ======================================================
    If you make changes to the this template please remove "Template Design by <a href="http://jawcs.com" target="_blank">JAWCS</a>"

it is right at the top line 18

Plugin Contributions

Default AmandaGero: can you please help

Quote Originally Posted by ijlal View Post
    Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your offer to help. I initially had Blue_hilites by JAWCS installed. Then I began changing the design until I came up with a brand new template. Everything is changed now, so it is only fair not to change the design by part as well. Would it be fair to change somebody's design and still say they designed it? But I have not taken all credit away from them as I have kept them in acknowledgement comments. I still have the blue_hilites template installed, so whenever I switch to that template their design by would show and not mine.

Regards,
    Ijlal
    Hi AmandaGero, I am looking forward to your help. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast