Plugin Contributions

Default Cache / performance Hosting Provider

The speed of my site is random sometimes it loads fast sometimes not

I contacted my hosting provider (123-reg)

who came back with the following answer:

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 19th April 2012.

Using caching within a shared environment can have an adverse effect in that it slows the performance of the site rather than speeding it up. Can you please confirm if you have any caching plugins installed within your website. If so, can you please disable this function to allow us to troubleshoot your website performance issue further. The following article can be of assistance if you are using Wordpress or Joomla:
    http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/ans...software-3405/

If we can be of any further help with regard to this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Sorin
    123-reg

Is the above statement true? is there anything i can disable?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cache / performance Hosting Provider

Zen Cart doesn't contain any caching services such as your hosting company is suggesting. So there's nothing to disable.
    However, if you've installed addons to add caching capability, then that of course changes the facts.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Zen Cart doesn't contain any caching services such as your hosting company is suggesting. So there's nothing to disable.
    However, if you've installed addons to add caching capability, then that of course changes the facts.
    thats werid my site has now gone back to the setup page??

http://www.londonlookclothing.co.uk/

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tomcoleman View Post
    thats werid my site has now gone back to the setup page??

http://www.londonlookclothing.co.uk/
    seems they have moved me to a different server

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 19th April 2012.

The londonlookclothing.co.uk hosting package has been moved to a new server in order for its performance to be increased. If any errors or time-outs might still occur, please update this ticket with your findings.
    The downtime you encountered was due to the fact that we moved the hosting to a faster server. Apologies for this. Now all should work fine.

If we can be of any further help with regard to this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Sorin
    123-reg

which has broken my site now as the config.php is different!!!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The correct way to move the site between servers is explained here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=100

The 2 configure.php files will need to be edited to include the correct paths, since those are probably what have changed when the server change was done. Doing a fresh install using zc_install will build the correct configure.php content automatically, which is far simpler than guessing what the paths need to be. That's why that's recommended in the tutorial article.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.